what kind of fighting class should I take?

Okay so i need to know whats the best fighting/self defense class I should take I live in Chilliwack british Columbia, Like boxing, karate ect you get what im saying? I want it to be kinda fun not super hard but so incase I get attacked I can use the moves, I get chased home a lot and am tired of running -.- Anywaaays I want to learn some good punches kicks stuff like that maybe street fighting techniques whats the best category for that?

Favorite Answer

Okay, I do some Muay Thai, I'm a Kickboxer and Kung Fu student, and I've had experience in Qin Na, Karate, Aikido, Kempo, and stuff like Kenjutsu, Iaidō, and Kyudō.

You're talking about street fighting, not competitive. My recommendation: Krav Maga. Israeli Martial Street Fighting. Muay Thai is a good style even outside of the ring, but it still follows rules. Krav Maga doesn't. The point is that you get back to your home. It uses locks, grappling, multi-person, throws, kicks, punches, elbows, knees, head, and everything else.

Also, you should look at Knife and Stick (which may be taught in Krav Maga), where you'll learn to use anything from a busted bottle to a wooded board. A good armed form that can be applied realistically (I love kenjutsu, but it's illegal to carry a sword around in public...).

Also, kickboxers running from headshots? What kind of kickboxers you got there? We get roundhoused and such in the head as well as punched. You aren't gonna impress anybody by getting punched in the face repeatedly... But I agree, you need endurance, and anybody who wants to defend themselves needs to learn how to AVOID getting hit even over conditioning or getting hit. And that's my advice. Good luck.

Source(s): Some years in the arts (listed in the answer).
  • albina

If these are the only picks you could have, you could look into the jujitstu club, even though the odds of finding a fairly high excellent membership are rather low. If you can think it Tai Chi is highly functional, if you're wise adequate to understand what you are doing, if you are just moving the way in which your academics confirmed you due to the fact that that is the way he showed you, you will be hopeless. After these two, both kickboxing or boxing considering the usual first-rate of the golf equipment are better seeing that there is extra interest in competitors. Taekwon do and karate? Most humans would inform you how useless they are, impractical susceptible and entierly nugatory when compared to a few different martial arts, these statements are borderline true, from what i have noticeable, karate and taekwondo dojos are usually highly low excellent belt factories. However in the event you have been to be trained karate in japan, or taekwon do in korea, regularly a different story. But if you're to decide upon to go into a martial artwork for defence, please recall that these are delicate martial arts intended for recreation most often. Relying on what form of jujitsu classification you are watching at it would be either activity comparable to brazillian jujitsu, or both a tough or delicate *** jujitsu, or it would be a wholly bogus club. Ensure you check out all of the golf equipment, might be with a knowledgable pal, for the reason that persons right here, are not able to inform the great of the golf equipment over the internet. Hope this helps.

Karate - Alot of types, kyokushin is best on the street since it's more of a street skill than a sport, It uses: Kicks, and punching, and some grappling.

Taekwondo - more of a sports martial art, dont do it for street, not worth it.

Muay thai - all it does if make you punch better and kick better, kneeing, and elbowing, it's not that good on the street.

Krav maga - my fav art :) it contains everything, punching, kicks, trapping.

Jeet kune do - really effective, it is a philosopher that used alot of other arts and removed the fancy stuff that doesn't work irl. it's like krav maga, a bit different though

Aikijutsu - good against many attackers, BUT it takes a while to be good at it.

Martial arts you dont wanna do:

Taekwondo

Sports judo

Kung fu

Wing chung

Muay thai

Japanese jiujutsu (lacks ALOT of real life training, brazilian jiujutsu is better)

• Ben

The beauty of Krav Maga is its simplicity, a good teacher should have you instilled with the basics in six months, the training is hard work though and does not work around traditional martial arts training principals.

Of the traditional Martial Arts, Hapkido and AikiJitsu are good options for Self Defense, yet so is Karate and the various derivitaves there of, you need to make a short list of styles that interest you and go along to some training centers and watch what happens there and see if its for you or not.

If you want the best results, at least 1 of your martial arts has to be a sport martial art like muay thai or boxing or judo/bjj/wrestling etc.

If you ONLY take krav maga, and you practice on your partners all the time who aren't really trying to beat you in competition or fight you or tackle you to the ground... guess how well it's going to work against the big guys chasing you? not as expected. However, krav maga is a great supplement.

As u know there are different sort of martial arts..if u want to know how to be on the ground how to roll and take a hold of alimb and eventually brake or even choking some one out jui jitsu is your best option... but then you might be vulnerable to someone else kicking your *** ...kickboxing will leave your opponent at bay ...meaning u can use your kicks to keep him at a distance ..but if u don't know how to take a good punch u might get knocked out...I've seen some kick boxers run around because they get scared to get hit in the face ... boxers are not scared because genarrally all they do is get hit in the head .. boxing would benefit you on learning to move ..how to take a good punch how to throw a good punch and throwing combos.. FYI ima a boxer .. but generally it will be up to you what u want to learn that will benefit you!!

Muay Thai kickboxing is known as "the art of eight limbs"

Meaning you'll learn to use your hands, legs, elbows, and knees. Very vicious attacks and good for street fights.

Muay thai

Punches, kicks, knees, elbows.