Need help for tapping electric guitar?

Hello! I am trying to tap on my guitar such as Van Halen Eruption or the solo in Metallica's song One....I have a very nice guitar a Squire Fender Stratocaster, my amp is a good it's the Spider IV 15, I have been trying to tap, I don't know if I am doing it wrong or if my settings are wrong, my friend was able to tap on the amp (because he gave it to me) and he was all crazy...and I want to be like Randy Rhoads or Kirk Hammett, maybe even Mick Mars he kicks butt too and ect... If you can tell me what settings my amp should be on, that would help, and maybe tell me tips on how to tap, or link a video, I found some videos on youtube but still not helping... Much appreciated! TAKE CARE

If my amp is crap...please tell me which amp I should buy later (not something crazy overpriced) on lol....I'm still learning.

Favorite Answer

Tapping has nothing to do with your amp; it's ALL technique.

To tap you anchor a note with your left hand, first finger (for this example, let's say 7th fret high E string). Then, your ring finger (or pinky or middle) will hit another note (let's say 10th fret). Next, you take your middle finger from your right hand (because you're holding the pick with your index and thumb), and you hit another note (Let's say 14th fret).

So now you have 3 fingers on the fret board. What you do is as you lift your right middle finger, you give the string a small pluck, causing the string to vibrate. So now you have your two fingers from your left hand left. Naturally, you keep your index finger on, and do a similar plucking motion with your ring/pinky/middle finger (whichever you used).

It's pretty hard to explain; far easier to show. It's a pretty tricky technique, too, but once you get it, it's pretty easy.

Also, the Line 6 Spider amps are pretty bad. :\

Source(s): Years of playing, teching, and collecting guitars.