? asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 years ago

Piercings after transplant?

I was diagnosed with AML (type of leukemia) in august of 2011. In December 2011 i received a bone marrow transplant from my sister who was a perfect match for a donor. I went into isolation for 18 days and the cells took away my leukemia and since then it has not returned. For up to 6 months after my transplant i couldn't go into any public places because i could risk infections. It has been a year and a half since my transplant and there has been so signs of relapsing I'm doing great. Im back at school now, my blood counts are almost up to the normal rage again, so obviously infections are not the end of the world to get, i have been sick a few times this winter and I've made it through fine. ANYWAYS, before i was sick i had a nose piercing, and now i really really want it back and a belly button piercing! Do you think it would be okay? I've been sick since the transplant and recovered. Plus i already have had piercings before and I'm great at taking care of them. I have my ears pierced already so i don't understand why i cannot get a belly button piercing if i promise to take great care of it. My mom is totally paranoid and says i cannot but i think i can convince her somehow.

Thank you!

• .
    Favorite Answer

i am also an aml survivor. my doc advised waiting until i was off all immunosuppresion meds including anti rejection AND the prednisone before doing anything like that. if counts are normal and you are no longer on the meds, statitically you are no longer higher risk for infections

if this is truly a medical safety issue, then she should just consult the doc forthe facts.. but also consider its a parenting issue... if thats the case, demonstrating medical safety wont make a difference.

the peircing would not jeopordize your transplant that happened over a year ago, and if off the meds, the ridk of infection is the same as any other avg person, backing up to how well you take care of it. the above response is quite the over reaction, imo. furthermore, am i not risking my life every time i get in the car, cross a street, or do virtually anything? should i hide in a hole to make sure i never harm myself in anyway after my family helped me through transplant? i understand the op is underage, but as an adult, donating and helping with care does not give anyone else the right to make decisons for me, especially ones my doc said were ok - nor would i dream of doing the same to others

of course she needs to respect her mom, but i am offended by the thought that i should live my life and make my personal choices according to the wishes of my family just bc they watched me go through cancer. if i did that, i literally would be sitting in a bubble 24/7

You have had some major health events and the piercings that you had prior to your bone marrow transplant were already healed before that transplant. I would think that you owe it to your parents and your sister to not place yourself in any more jeopardy by getting un necessary body art. These people have worried, sat with you and spent thousands of dollars, even given their life blood to get you well and keep you on this earth. Your idea to put all of that at risk, for such a ridiculous reason shows you have a lot of growing up to do. Any body piercing is a risk to a normal person who has a normal immune system. Almost anything could tip the balance for your ability to fight infection , post transplant. if I was your sister, I would deck you for being so dumb, thoughtless and self centered. It is a really stupid chance to be taking, for something so frivolous and vain.

Wow! Firstly have you had a transplant Mama Mia? and second who are you to judge someone you don't know about how they live there life! I had a transplant 4 years ago now and it was a bowel transplant. I have had acute rejection and nearly lost my donated organ. I have been in and out of hospital all my life and I am still not out of it but I would not change my lifestyle for anyone and my parents and friends respect that. I live in the country and have horses and animals. Now we all know immuno suppressed patients are better off not having those things but it was my life and I could never give them up. My doctors understood and I have adjusted limiting my risks but I still do it. By the way the acute rejection I had was nothing to do with the animals. It was from a bug I picked up from a hospitals patient (how ironic)!

Tweety. I hope you went for it and got your piercing. Its your life and it is only right that your mum should worry. However I'm sure she respects your wishes. I found this post as I am thinking of having a nose piercing and I am also having a tattoo on my ribs. I live my life with more caution and consideration because of my gift from my donor but I have asked my surgeons and doctors and they said I can go ahead with both. Of course there is always a risk but like the other person said you can get hit by a car or struck by lightening too.

My struggle through rejection made me truly appreciate what my donor and there family did for me and every year it cuts me up to think that someone died for me to live. I think I owe it to my donor to live my life as best I can and if that means being a normal 20yr old and for once being able to do normal things Im going too.

The tattoo i spoke of is for my donor. When I nearly lost my organ I decided to get one so if i ever did lose my organ I will not forget what my donor did for me! I am having it on my ribs close to my heart. It involves the transplant heart for that amazing opportunity and a bird spreading its wings to show the freedom I eventually have.

No one should tell you how to live your life. Advise you yes and you should listen and think about it but at the end of the day go with your heart! Life is unbelievably short!!!

1

Source(s): Destroy Hypothyroidism Today http://hypothyroidismrevolution.emuy.info/?8qKZ