Your local history: Is there a piece of history from your part of the world that is?

still very divisive today?

Example: A person some of your local population sees as a hero, but the rest see him/her as a villain?

Or maybe a battle some call a great victory & others a great slaughter?

Like where I live, there is a battle they taught us in school was the Slaughter of Seven Oaks.....but at home my family called it the Victory of Frog Plain.

A question earlier got me thinking about how this & other events in my area are still hotly divided depending on which community you originate from....

BQ: If there is something like that in your area.....do you think the tensions/debate will ever end? Could it cause more friction in the future?

Favorite Answer

My community is the home of Angela Davis, the great Civil Rights activist and former communist party

official who won the Order of Lenin Medal. She is multilingual, a former Berkely Professor.

Ironically the same community is the home of Condoleeza Rice, who actual does not have the real multilingual skills of Davis... and is less educated. There is still conflict regarding Rice vs. Davis ie.

Rice is seen as a kind of phony ie. her family actually resisted the Civil Rights movement, whereas Davis' father was a history prof. and was an activist. Davis was attacked and forced to leave Birmingham, whereas Rice was simply present during such attacks and uses it/exploits it in her favor...

Paul Robeson in the 1930's made a documentary about local black steel workers - a film shown often in the USSR, but local schools never mention it and react as if it never happened.

I know a nearby city where weeks of martial law were declared in a 1930's Goodyear strike, where there were bombings and John L. Lewis , a major Union organizer in the USA had his face slashed and required over 100 stitches. This was all in the 1930's, but there is no historic marker, and the

subject is never mentioned in the local schools although it caused quite a few deaths and injuries and was a national story.

This same city was visited in 1948 by presidential candidate Henry Wallace gave a campaign speech. He was physically attacked. He was pelted with rocks and eggs, and his car was rocked back and forth by a mob attempting to overturn it. He was perceived as being a 'communist' or a 'progressive' - but the actual reason for the violence was that he advocated 'Desegregation'.

Less than 200yds from where he was attacked was an area used for lynchings... The local schools have no marker for it or for the lynchings, although there is a photograph of one of the lynchings nationally known...and the subject is not taught or mentioned in local schools. Also native Americans were stockade there at a local spot for the infamous Trail of Tears...but it too is not mentioned or taught about in local schools.

It's really sad how localities will kill their history or try to sweep it under the rug when in fact an open view of it would actually help the community to be seen as reformed or big enough to have grown up

and be transformed by such history. This same community has a rich history of native Americans -

who are mentioned nationally but simply ignored locally.

Also, my local community has a rich Civil War history, and while it's mentioned, there is a lot more that could be mentioned that sadly gets ignored. I discovered a local community of ex-slaves because my grandmother used to pick cotton with them, and I know the name of the community and found an old country road in that area with the same name...but have not been able to find much info.

I know the name of the plantation owner...but have not found even exactly where the plantation was located...

General Nathan Bedford Forrest was a big local hero and fought a battle/skirmish in my local community and until recently a school was named after him, as well as a street - but now the schhol is gone and renamed. The street, named after him, exists. There is also a major street named after Ge. John Bell Hood because his army marched through the town and met there with General P.G.T. Beauregarde, but most locals don't even know the history or know 'Hood' was a Civil War general or that the street marks the path he took through the community...

Source(s): Digging in local libraries... Despite the internet, local libraries are still invaluable treasure troves...
  • ?

Perhaps brigham young the second mormon prophet. When I was, cough wheeze, mormon, people really couldn't decide if he was a holy prophet sent from god or a misogynist blood thirsty tyrant. However, mormoville is taught not to question and be the a big happy white...teethed family, so the only real division you are gonna get here is intolerance for LGBT community, institutionalized sexism, racial discrimination, and Oh MY god Brigham was for all those things!

And people here tend to get on edge about the college byu versus uofu rivalry, and what milkshakes from local creameries are best.