Why does Boston like Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline song? I saw on TV they played it at a baseball game?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why.........don't know.

Sweet Caroline has been played during the 8th inning of Red Sox games for a long time. The whole stadium sings along - it's fun, it's tradition.

The song is not about the Red Sox. The song is about Caroline Kennedy, Neil Diamond has stated as much, however that part came out many years after it became a staple at Fenway Park. Therefore I highly doubt a Kennedy <> Fenway connection.

If there is an official Red Sox song, it's Tessie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdFvPCKR0M

Youtube thumbnail

• 8 years ago

It's an easy sing along song that most people know the words to. It gets the crowd fired up and gives some pep to the team whether they're winning or losing. The Dodgers left Brooklyn when Neil Diamond was a boy and he has told the story of how unhappy that made him. He loves baseball.

Source(s): Internet
  • 8 years ago

It is the unofficial song of the Boston Red Sox. It is believed to have been written about Caroline Kennedy.

• Joe C
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's a drunken frat boy song, i.e. easily sung by a bunch of drunks at karaoke (which you find a lot of at a game) combined with the whole Neil Diamond - Kennedy lore. The result, a tradition was born.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

It's a Boston Red Sox song.

• 8 years ago

It's one of our quaint traditions. Do something 10 times here and it becomes a sacred institution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.