Atheist, what do you think of John Lennox?

I personally find him highly intelligent and regard him as one of the best Christian apologist.

I'm curious to see how the skeptical community views him.

@Pirate, John Lennox, not John Lennon, lol.

@Sladen, Lol, I'm talking about the mathematician at Oxford, not the singer.

@Punkin eater, I ask to receive a different perspective on manners. The fact that you consider all theist, to be liars and not rational thinkers, is absurd. As their credentials speak for themselves.

Favorite Answer

Never heard of him before.

I watched this video:

http://johnlennox.org/about/

He seems like a very congenial person, but I didn't get much evidence from the video.

I found a disapproving article on the Answers in Genesis site. The site opposed Lennox for trying to reconcile science with religion by interpreting the Bible figuratively, and especially for not endorsing Young Earth Creationism.

That is nothing new for me. I realize that some people try to reconcile Evolutionary theory with the Genesis account, but I don't see how that is possible. Genesis says that God created the fowls of the air before he created the beasts of the earth, but science says that birds evolved from reptiles. Genesis says that God created the great whales before he created the beasts of the earth, but science says that whales evolved from hoofed mammals.

I tried to learn more, but I couldn't find a summary of his arguments anywhere on the Web.

I noticed a couple of Youtube videos, but I am in China, where Youtube is banned.

I would like to see one of his debates with Dawkins, since I don't know which position I would take in such a debate. I have read a couple of Dawkins' books and I didn't think much of them.

• Dani

I don't know much about him to make too much of a comment. But I did see his debate with him and Richard Dawkins on YouTube. I think it's like this - if you're pro-science then you will have thought that Richard won. If you think faith comes before science then you will have thought that Lennox won that debate. Two completely contrasting opinions. Lennox did seem to be a nice man though - and he did seem intelligent - which was why I was thoroughly confused at why such an intelligent man could believe such ridiculous things. But I can't hold that against him. I think I am intelligent, but only discovered I was an atheist about a year ago. So, I can't judge him.

I'm not sure why you keep asking, we think people like him lie, make up crap, ignore normal ways of rational thinking and attempt to justify what's essentially a fairy tale, but make it seem like history.

whenever you hear someone trying to describe something using supernatural explanations you should be very wary; every single case since the dawn of history has proven to be a scam or a delusion...Every single one, you can check.....

edit: you're mistaken, I don't think all theists are liars, or not capable of rational thought, just that they don't apply that standard to their belief in super beings. I think I saw Lennox in a debate, and as far as I remember he didn't say anything I hadn't heard before. The christian apologetics explanation is fraught with many misstatements, and if you ask me, lies and purposeful misuse of facts and claims. Credentials do not mean every statement is credible from the person.

As far as manners I do remember he was polite and well spoken.

• Sladen

He was one of the greatest man ever. And it's John Lennon. Not Lennox! You little flying diaper nugget. How dare you!

P.S There is only one true John Lennon. The other one is an imposter. SO I don't care.

I think that if you're going to do such a shameless plug, you should at least have included a link.

I think he should have stayed with the Beatles.

Edit: In that case, he should have stayed with the Beatlex

Smart does not equal non-delusional.