Do you believe that life is a vast system of essentially mechanical processes?

Or is life an irreducible essence on its own level?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Only arrogance will determine why people think they know what life is. Any thing is possible if you believe that human imagination is a reflection of observable phenomena.

RNA abiogenesis ....don't think so.

First, where is the evidence for this, such as fossilized ancestral RNA life? Second, the RNA world hypothesis is fraught with difficulties. RNA is even less stable than DNA, and that is saying something—about a million DNA ‘letters’ are damaged in a typical cell on a good day, which then requires repair mechanisms to be in place (another problem for origin-of-life scenarios). And it is extremely unlikely that the building blocks for RNA would come about by undirected chemical interactions, and even if this happened, it would be even more improbable that the building blocks would self-assemble into any RNA molecule, let alone an informational one. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

• 8 years ago

I think that life's an emergent property of the way natural components have interacted and come together. I don't think it's anything separate, and it doesn't carry on after death.

Personality doesn't survive death; it is a function of the body; the mythical concept of the soul seems to have come from ancient Greek religion. In fact, personality doesn't even always last while the body lives.

We will return to the way we were before we were conceived. And the molecules that made up our bodies will be recycled by nature. If we have children, then our genes persist in later generations. People we leave behind will be left with memories, emphasising the happy ones hopefully, once they have come through the grieving process.

I've accepted that things are the way they are, and have come to terms with the reality of this quite some time ago. And I'm happy and at peace with that. Heaven and Hell, and other lands of the dead, are mythical places. So we can take comfort from knowing that we don't risk eternal torment.

• 8 years ago

Life is a process.

The definition of "life" is rather vague. There is no definite quality that strictly defines what is alive or not. There is a set of processes that we generally assign to life. These processes include but are not limited to moving, metabolizing, growing, reproducing, and thinking. However, each of those processes can be found in things that we don't consider alive. Many things move that are not alive. Acid metabolizes, but isn't alive. Many compounds reproduce, but aren't alive. Computers can think, but aren't alive, or are they? There are some things that don't have some of the characteristics, yet are still thought to be alive. Plants don't move. Some plants don't eat and just live off of photosynthesis and ambient water in the air. And they don't think. But plants are considered alive. Some things, we haven't agree whether they are alive or not, such as viruses.

But however defined, life is not a thing. It is more of a process. Life is whatever is living. However, life is made up of components that we would not separately consider to be alive. Life is not some kind of essence.

Religion is superstition with pat answers about life.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's mostly chemical, actually -- not mechanical.

But that's what all the evidence shows, so to pretend otherwise is rather silly...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I do think life being essentially mechanistic is as far as the evidence suggests things to be, that is to say the evidence doesn't warrant going further than life being basically mechanistic. It could be more, there's just no reason to think it is more.

• 8 years ago

Personally, I think it's far from mechanical. "Mechanical" infers a perfect system in which things are predictable.

• 8 years ago

Life is a specific type of organic chemical reaction, yes.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

the world....is a vast system of intelligently designed mechanical processes

LIFE....the divine spark....something else entirely

• 8 years ago

I would use the term "bio chemical processes"

• 8 years ago

are are you high? You used your vocab words wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.