What type of Kayak is better for fishing?

I want to buy a Kayak for fishing and I am having a hard time deciding on which type to get. I am trying to find out if a sit-in or a sit-on is better. I went to ***** Sporting goods and Academy Sports so far. Some of the yaks I have been looking at are Pelican Matrix 100x, Perception Pescador 12 and Old Town Vapor. Any tips or suggestions will help. None of my friends are Kayak Fishers. Thanks a ton!

Favorite Answer

Bang for the Buck the Perception is probably the best option from what you've listed. I personally prefer a Jackson Cuda 12, but I know they're an expensive boat so unless you wanna just throw over a thousand dollars into a kayak I wouldn't recommend that. If you live within 2 hours of a Bass Pro Shops, I *HIGHLY* recommend looking into one of their Ascend FS models. The FS-12T is a perfectly fine boat, and I've had mine for a couple years now.

A lot of fishermen prefer a sit on top kayak because it offers a little better range of movement, and they give you a slightly more commanding view over the water, coupled up with a decent pair of polarized sunglasses and you'd be able to see a lot more underwater structure and fish. A sit inside kayak will keep the wind off your wet legs, and some say it might offer a bit more stability since you have a lower center of gravity, but a portion of that can be determined by hull cross section shape too.

Before you decide on what to buy though, consider the types of water you'll be fishing most. If you're going to be fishing shallower, faster flowing, rocky/obstacle prone rivers I'd advise you to look for a kayak without a keel and without a sharp nose. Go for a under 12' kayak *unless it has a rocker hull*. If you want to fish on lakes, wide slow moving deep rivers, or do any salt water fishing I suggest going with a 12'+ long, sharp nosed, and straight sided kayak with a keel and rudder. Longer boats paddle easier and track better (go in a straight line) on more open water. Shorter and Curved (rockered) hull boats turn better. There is no such thing as a perfect boat for every environment. So there's a balance you gotta look for in all kayaks/canoes, otherwise your arms and back will be killing you at the end of the day.

Since you're new to kayaks, I suggest going with a under $600 kayak made out of a polyethylene material. They may weigh a little more but trust me that thick plastic is as tough as a keg of nails. They can take almost every little rookie mistake/bang up that could happen and give you many years of good use. Once you get a really good hang of it all you'll be spending more time in that kayak than a bass boat, and probably catching as many if not more fish.

Below are a few links to the Ascend Kayaks I was talking about and a couple others you might be interested in. I sure hope I helped ya out buddy.

I under no circumstances tried fishing from my kayak, so take this for what you imagine that's worth. i'd first choose something with multiple stability. I actually have on previous city Rush. that's a shorter leisure boat for playing on transferring water. it fairly works on flat water, even if that's slower than a sea kayak. even if that's extra strong the the only sea kayak I actually have tried. i does no longer prefer to attempt fishing from the sea kayak in any respect, except i found a fashion to positioned an outrigger on it. the different element i'd choose should be cupboard area and a paintings area. i does no longer prefer to have each little thing stowed less than a hatch in the back of me that i could not get to, or sliding round in the front of me the position i'd situation about a hook snagging my leg. back - an outrigger ought to offer room to stow a rod, and so on. alongside side me.

• Kyle

I own 2 Dagger kayaks, and I fish out of them both. Fishing from them isn't bad, but you do have to prepare in advance for what you will be doing. I also camp from my kayaks, so I needed in board storage. A few summers back, I rented a 2 seater sit on kayak for some ocean fishing. It had rod holders built in both up front and behind the paddler. The 4 rod holders were awesome. It had a tiny storage compartment, but most of my gear was strapped to the top of the kayak. As far as fishing goes, the sit on top was hands down a better set up. You have to pay a little bit more attention to where you put your gear to keep from losing it in wind or waves or worst case scenario a roll over, but flipping a kayak on accident is a good trick. Even in ocean waves I never flipped it accidentally. Good luck. I'd certainly make sure you get 1 with rod holders and lots of straps and places for even more straps.

I have a 14.5 foot Fold-boat canvas covered two person, non-colapsable that is over 45 years old. I woundn't trade it for the world. Impossible to tip. Had the deck awash from power boats. Stable as a rock. Great to fish out of.