How to write a theme paragraph?

I wrote this rather quickly and i am in grade 10 english. i am failing the course because i haven't been putting in effort and i am just not a great writer so i need people to edit my paragraph about theme on to kill a mockingbird please and thanks. just edit my mistakes and run on sentences and sentence fragments etc. also, i didnt read the book so i dont know if my paragraph even makes sense with what happened in the book but thanks!

Courage Means Fighting For What is Right, No Matter What the Cost (the theme)

In To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee believes that courage means fighting for what you believe in even if what you believe in means standing up against everyone else for what is right. This is shown when one of the main characters, Atticus is in court, and is defending Tom Robinson. Every one believes Tom is guilty only because he is black. Even though everyone is against Tom, Atticus, even through all of the ridicule still stands up and defends him in court. People such as Bob and Mayella Ewell are calling him a "****** lover" and he still refuses to give up on Tom. Atticus explains what true courage is to Jem when he says, "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do". (p112) The author describes how courage does not have to be a physical act. It could just simply be a moral act. End (i do not have a very good ending yet but please make edits because i have no one to do it and my teacher is making us!) thanks

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Courage Means Fighting For What is Right, No Matter What the Cost is.

Harper Lee, the author pf the classic 'To Kill A Mockingbird', believes that courage means fighting for what you believe in even if it means standing up against everyone else for what is right. This is shown by one of the main characters, Atticus, when he decides to defend Tom Robinson. Everyone believes Tom is guilty only because he is black, it's futile to even try to defend a convicted black man. Atticus, however, stands up against biased perspective of the white society in Maycomb. He promises and does the best he can to prove Tom Robinson's innocence. The whites in the Maycomb cannot accept the fact that one of their great attorneys is defending a black man. They get very offended and ridicule Atticus. Wisely, Atticus ignores them because he believes in what he thinks is right and he stands firm.

Another example of a character depicting true courage is Mrs. Dubose. Mrs. Dubose is a morphine addict, but during her last days before she died, she chose to break free from her addiction and try to live as freely as possible. Breaking away from drugs addiction is not easy, Mrs. Dubose was in agony and was not her real self. She was a grumpy old lady. Mrs. Dubose trying to break free is an example of true courage. She knew how much pain it means if she wanted to die freely, and yet she still did it. Atticus explains what true courage is to Jem when he says, "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." (Lee, 112). Lee describes how courage does not have to be a physical act. It could just simply be a moral act. As one of the Presidents of the United States, William Jefferson Clinton, once said, "If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person. It's how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit."

Source(s): Read the book :)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • gery
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

How To Write A Theme

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.