Is it true that only Japanese and Nordic people take off their shoes indoor?

Ok first of all I hope Europeans/Asians/South Americans/Africans could answer on this question since I know all North Americans do keep their shoes on indoors. I'm Nordic myself from Finland and WE DO ALWAYS take off our shoes when indoors (expect in public places) because it's much better to be bare feet when the floor is clean and my feet can breath and won't go sweaty. Do people from south or middle Europe keep their shoes indoors too or take them off? I find that very strange to be with shoes on in someones home!!

• Datx
    Favorite Answer

In Canada it is customary to take-off your shoes before entering someone's house. Generally, climate affects if this customary. Since it is winter most of the year here, it would be rude to walk in with muddy and wet boots, so this custom just naturally extends to summer shoes as well.

• I have a lot of friends from North America who had beautiful new carpets, or lots of kids with lots of friends and they insisted people take of their shoes in their homes. Its not that strange to me as I like going barefoot. It's true, some people get offended at the silliest things.

In the US and UK the majority of people, that I know, don't routinely wear their shoes in the house. Whilst it isn't culturally embedded like in Japan, it is commonplace to not wear shoes in the house. It tends to be a case of personal preference and individual household rules.

Hope this helps.

I tried taking my shoes off, but the forces of nature didn't allow it...just kidding, I never tried.

It simply isn't accostomed or consider courteous but it can be done, and it really depends on how well you know the person, I walk barefoot in all my friends house...they said make yourself at home, so I did

Source(s): Me. Im very smart

I'm an Asian.I live in Pakistan,in here this is normal,everyone takes off his/her shoes.

Russians, Ukrainians, and the folks of most former Soviet Union nations all take their shoes off before walking around inside the home.

ONLY - FALSE

A lot of Asian countries do that, if you didn't know.

Some people do it in the UK. I do.