Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Theists: How do you know if a voice in your head is God, Satan, or your own thoughts?

Update:

@Ulquiorra as a psy student that was an amazing answer. Very interesting.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I would be interested to know as well, since having read some of the works of Carl Jung, he admits there are a rare amount of dreams that do not have a source in the conscious or subconscious mind.

Also, I was examining one experiment done on near-death experiences, where a certain subject (they studied several) was put in an MRI while having a regression to his near-death whereby he was describing having met a certain personage (after the nde he was able to access this person at will) and the MRI reading showed that while he was in this state, his mind was in a totally open learning pattern (Theta) found mostly in children under the age of 6.

This recounting of this experiment curiously reminds me of something a Buddhist friend of mine said a few years ago, that when he gets into certain states, he "becomes a 4 year old" and needs someone to help him out during that phase he's experiencing.

This monk believed he was able to change peoples' futures.

• 8 years ago

Some do mistake their own sub conscience for the voice of God or Satan. Your question is written as if we all hear voices in our head. I have personally never heard the voice of God audibly, but have met people who have, and what they hear from God always comes to pass. Although I am wary of those who claim they have a word from God because it is very rare and sometimes is their sub conscience and desire to hear the voice of God. In any case, God speaks to us in many ways, though not usually audible, He has spoken to us through His Word, as the owners guide to life and instructions before leaving Earth.

• 8 years ago

You know I don't think most Theists REALLY hear the voice of God. I think they just pray for something to happen, and something random happens, and they go ahead and consider that God's answer.

Or if they just happen to think of something or take some action that ended up helping them, it was clearly God's intervention. ROFL

• 5 years ago

God by no ability contradicts what He has revealed in His written be conscious, the Bible. "yet as for you, proceed in what you have discovered and function grow to be confident of, considering you recognize those from whom you discovered it, and how from infancy you have universal the Holy Scriptures, that are able to make you smart for salvation by faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for coaching, rebuking, correcting and education in righteousness, so as that the servant of God could be thoroughly geared up for each good paintings. " II Timothy 3:14-17 "we've a lot to declare approximately this, besides the incontrovertible fact that that's annoying to make it clean to you considering you no longer attempt to understand. in fact, however by utilising this time you have to be instructors, you decide on somebody to coach you the ordinary truths of God’s be conscious as quickly as greater. you decide on milk, no longer sturdy food! every person who lives on milk, being nevertheless an toddler, isn't conscious of the coaching approximately righteousness. yet sturdy food is for the mature, who by utilising consistent use have knowledgeable themselves to tell apart good from evil. " Hebrews 5:eleven-14

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

God tells you to do things commensurate with your beliefs. Satan's minions tell you to doubt and deceive. The inner voice simply analyzes the two.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's most likely the last, but some people will insist they know they're hearing from G-d.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Satan tells them to kill everybody. God only tells them to kill the unbelievers.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

They just assume its god or satan because they thinks its god/satan, because what they believe is OBVIOUSLY true isn't it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.