Shakey Rustie asked in SportsHockey · 7 years ago

Is this the end of Torts and Richards in NY...?

Richards, in his 2nd year of a 9 year $60mil contract, is a healthy scratch tonight for arguably the most important game of the Rangers season.

Is this the end of Torts and Richards in Ranger blue?

BQ* Where does the Brad Richards signing rank among free agent blunders committed by Sather?

Favorite Answer

Torts is the more likely one to be given his walking papers. Have to wonder if he has lost this team in the room. Torts likes the spotlight and likes to say things he shouldn't so we can probably assume he says things in the room guys are tired of hearing. And if the Rangers cant get the offense going tonight can you imagine how brutal the NY media will be for him benching on of the very few offensive talents on the team? Nash has been worse and also more costly to the team in terms of dollars and talent lost yet so far he has gotten a lot more love from Torts and the media. I know the Rangers have deep pockets but eating that deal will be hard for even them to do and Rangers management must be hoping with some changes Richards can find his game again. If not there are other teams needing to make major changes so a trade might be a more likely option and with the big names in play and a lower cap it will require lots of big money contracts going in different directions.

BQ. I honestly don't think signing Richards was the problem. I think the bigger thing was they didn't have the kind of talent available to put on a line with him that could help him thrive. He isn't and never was a dominating player but rather a guy who could take advantage of the talent around him (in Dallas he was feeding Eriksson and Neal....in TB St.Louis was always a linemate). Had the Rangers done a better job knowing what he produces and what kind od skill he needed around him he might be productive. Some guys just need certain kinds of talent around them and Richards has historically produced big numbers with guys who play well in the dirty area's and struggled without guys like that. Sather has gotten more mileage out of his early years of success in Edmonton than virtually anybody in a management role, wonder when the Rags finally cut ties with his long record of failed team building. Signing big names sells seats and jerseys, signing guys who fill roles in an established way produces playoff success.

This for sure will seal the deal with either Torts or Richards leaving. These 2 will not be able to co-exist after this move. I dont really put all the blame on Richards. The Ragners style of play does not suit Richards, the team and the management should have known this before bringing him in. Or at least change the style once getting him. But benching him in tonights game? I dont understand it. Why is Torts sending a message to richards now in ana elimination game? If he wanted to prove a point he should have done it in Game 2.

The Rangers problems is not Richards...They Rangers allowed Gaborik to walk away, dont blame Ricahrds for that. It was not Richards that allowed that to happen. It was th Rangers organization. The Rangers do not have enough offense around him, and they are simply too soft.

I'm a huge rangers fan, and quite honestly, these playoffs have been embarrassing. Especially the powerplay. While I don't really feel like the issues are either of Torts' or Richards' faults, I feel like a major move will have to be done this offseason to better the team. The only two major moves will be either buying out Richards' contract or firing Torts. I don't really want either to happen, but one is going to have to in order to make a large enough impact on the team. I'm really just hoping that they don't get too drastic and can both of them.

• I saw this...and I had to grin a bit (especially how everyone gave a certain former Leafs GM an ungodly amount of crap for...gasp...visiting members of the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan rather than drool over a guy who was never going to sign with the Leafs- looking at you Steve) and given the increasingly publicized trials and tribulations of Mayor Tommy Boy (who Simmons, when not giving Burke the gears for choosing the Canadian Forces over Richards has slobbered all over Mayor Tommy Boy at every step) it's nice to see that this didn't work out. If the Canucks compliance buy out Luongo and NYR does the same to Richards...that'll be hilarious. Has anyone checked on Richards personal assistant (or Ron MacLean, as he prefers to be known by) to see how he's taking this?

BQ: There's Holik, Gomez (did Slats blackmail the Habs into that deal for McDonough?), Richards, trading for Avery, Wade "AHL" Redden....all horrific in their own way.

Brad Richards pronounced he would not possibly sign with the celebrities if their possession themes have not been resolved. the story around the campfire is their possession subject must be resolved by using the tip of the off season. Joe Nieuwendyk has pronounced he thinks he can convince Richards to hold off on signing any contracts till the recent proprietor can grant a settlement. as a thank you to respond to your question, Dallas

i think that Richards should stay(he is great in ranger blue) but torts definitly has to go. the rangers need a new coach

Source(s): my own opnion im a pens fan

Yes

• Stevie

Back to Tampa with both -

Caddies and ball-washers in demand...

BQ More costly than Sean Avery...

This is John Torterra's fault!