Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I have not met my boyfriends parents. He is west-African. Should I be worried?

Hi There,

I have been dating this man for over a year now. Things are great. We are very much in love.

However, I am starting to have concerns over him not speaking to his family about me. They are aware of my existence, but nothing more. I've expressed my concerns (as it makes me feel de-valued), but his rational = due to cultural differences. He is West-African. Apparently formal parent introduction does not happen till the engagement.

Although I am understanding, on the same note, it bothers me that he doesn't at least speak of me to them. Moreover, they too, never ask questions about me or our relationship.

Family discussion are normally, well, regarding family...and seeing as I am not "considered" family yet. It is almost as though I am of no importance. Or at least that's the vibe I'm getting. Again, I comprehend and accept the cultural restraint. However, it hurts me when he goes into another room to speak with them (via skype or phone). I don't think I've ever felt so insignificant.

I guess my question is, too others who have been in similar situations, or to those of your are from similar cultural backgrounds, is this normal? Should I be worried?

Any advice would help.

To answer some of the questions:

Yes, I am obviously aware West-africa is NOT a country. For those of you needing more precision, I was simply alluding to west African countries in a general sense. He is from Senegal. Thanks.

- Yes, he is Muslim. However, religion is not the concern.

@ John & Kiyanni - Much appreciated. The advise definitely brings some clarity and reassurance. Merci :)

@Diane:

1)Had you read my post correctly, you have noticed that I mentioned; they are aware of my existence. However, note what I did not mention in my post/question; He lives with his brother, whom I speak with everyday and have consistent contact with all his other siblings who are out of country. That being said, your statement and reasoning about his parents not knowing about me would be irrelevant.

2)Note – He was formally engaged to his ex 6 years prior to me. She was nor African, nor Muslim. Formal parent introduction was made at the time where the engagement became official. The family was more than accepting, and the wedding preparation had already commenced. The relationship ended due to infidelity on her part. Thus again, the facts you provided are potentially correlated to personal experiences or knowledge, but don’t stick to my particular situation.

3)Note – He is not fully practicing the religion. He follows only aspects of it. Prior to dating him seriously, discussio

Favorite Answer

I'm African and Muslim.

No, you shouldn't be worried. Unlike Westerners or Europeans, we don't casually date and introduce our parents to our boyfriends and girlfriends. We usually court and introduce our significant others to our parents when we're ready to be engaged or going to be engaged. Because, in the parents' mind, they will immediately see this individual as someone their child will likely marry. This is due to cultural differences.

Also, since he is Muslim, it's even more likely that the parents will only meet someone their child will marry, not just dating. Don't feel insignificant or unimportant. There is a different mindset that comes with different cultures. It's not an insult to you nor does it say anything about the way he feels about you.

In my own family, my parents would never want me to date. But courtship is more acceptable. Even then, marriage would always be involved in discussions. It is the same in many African cultures, especially in Muslim families. I find when having dinner with African families, they are often very friendly and warm. But you won't be considered "family" unless you're married, your family is a family friend, or somehow tied to them.

@John: You are way off.

If  you're looking for seduction practices that enable you to get sex, or practices to grab girls and build a connection together, Joshua Pellicer addresses all of it in the Badass eBook, a guide for the guys, a book you will believe it is here  https://tr.im/RuS5U .

There are lots of things in The Tao of Badass that you should use to be a lot more successful with girls but the achievement of these techniques will simply depend on if you are ready to simply accept that failure and rejection includes the process of mastering the particulars of the relationship game.

Tao of Badass is a guide from where every person can learn something.

If he is a Muslim, be extremely careful!

EDIT: You're wrong. His religion IS a concern because under islamic religion dating is a sin. So unless he's not religious, meaning he doesn't follow the religious norms (eg. eating pork. If he doesn't eat pork, he DOES follow his religion and will eventually do as it mandates even if he engages in haramic activities like drinking or dating now), he is engaging in sin by the simple fact of being with you, for you are not married. That's why he doesn't tell his parents about you. Because he probably is not taking you seriously because the sole fact of being with you is illegal under their religion.

You have to research a lot before getting yourself into trouble. And one thing I know for sure, most Africans marry ONLY Africans. And most Muslims marry only (or expect their lady lovers to convert) Muslims. The combination of the two, you can tell.

Also, if things do go well and you end up marrying your beloved, please, be extremely careful when you go to his country to visit relatives if you guys have a daughter. I've heard of a lotttttt of cases where the family of the guy took the girl child without the consent of the opposing non-African mother and subjected her to clitoral ablation.

If you intend to get the pieces and exercise and apply the art of the pursuit until everything becomes next nature for you you then require this guide https://tr.im/ieiqe to master how.

The writer Joshua Pellicer, has coached tens of thousands of guys on associations and dating and, even if he admits that he was not a obviously born master of the dating game and it needed him lots of problems and rejection to eventually realize what works and what doesn't perform he produced a strong class so that you to understand and digest the means of attracting women.

The Tao of Badass is the greatest guide that you should stay on course. Without their advice, it'll take you a lengthier time to realize your possible or at worst, not understand it.

Want to know how to get your ex back? Change yourself. Don't worry about changing other people, worry about changing yourself. Go to https://tr.im/NIb9u

Once you do that then you can start to worry about getting back together with your ex, other wise you will find that you are fighting about all the same things and getting no where. Do what it takes and I promise things will work out in your favor.

The funny thing is I came to the realization that I had to change a little too late. After I was kicked out and after I was about to lose the only things that truly mattered to me - her love. A funny thing happens when we truly love someone and lose them. We do what ever it takes to get them back. For me I had to drop bad habits that had caused not only our relationship to sour but practically every other relationship I had had in the past. Not only with women, but with friends, co-workers, family, you name it.

Which is why I say to you as my ex at the time said to me, the only thing you can do is change yourself. Work on yourself and improve on the person that you already are. Drop the negative things in your life that don't belong there and you will see all of your relationships start to take off to new heights.

• John

Africans have ( generally ) a low opinion of African-Americans ( I assume you are...correct me if I'm wrong ).

If both of you are in love I suggest you focus on your future together. The two of you are starting something new ( new family etc ) and cutting strings with relatives who would make life unhappy for the both of you is wise.

It would be good to know more details about him. West Africa covers a few nations...Nigeria, Cote de Ore and so on.

And, yes, if he's a Muslim love may not save you.

Kiyanni.... I was being specific.

And I'll give you a thumbs-up for the sincerity of your post.

West Africa is not an actual country.

Perhaps he's from a place that is an actual country?

He may even be from a specific tribe.

I get the impression you don't know a lot about him. That should concern you most.

I wouldn't be worried, but if you expect to marry this person, be aware that his family might expect you to do certain things as a wife, like cooking from scratch every night. (Such gender-specific roles are expected by people from any places, not just West Africa.)