What does "Endemic Corruption" mean?

The new government's priorities include furthering development, creating jobs, and stamping out endemic corruption.

So what does "Endemic Corruption mean"? Also, here's the link if you want to check it out: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world...

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

endemic: present within a localized area or peculiar to persons in such an area' prevalent in or peculiar to a particular locality, region, or people, i.e. diseases endemic to the tropics.

Ecology: Native to or confined to a certain region.

Corruption: dishonest or illegal behavior by officials or people in positions of power, especially when they accept money in exchange for doing things for someone

Corruption can occur on many different scales.

There is corruption that occurs as small favors between a small number of people (petty corruption),

there is the corruption that affects the government on a large scale (grand corruption),

and corruption that is so prevalent that it is part of the everyday structure of society (systemic corruption or endemic corruption).

In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement. Government, or 'political', corruption is dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power; i.e., when an office-holder or other governmental employee acts in an official capacity for his or her own personal gain.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avIUz

It means that corruption is, generally, essential to competitive sports. I see someone thumbs-downed me so I will elaborate. Endemic usually means "native to a specific place". But since we are talking about competitive sports in general and not a place, location is not a relevant concept. For something to be endemic to an abstract concept, it would need to be essential to it. But since the quote is cynical and what it claims is not always the case, I added "generally" to show how there are some exceptions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.