Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Is the Alabama heat too hot for a german shepherd?

In the summer it can get up to 90 degrees and with a thick coat that german shepherds have they would be very hot. I do not have a german shepherd but I plan on getting on. Would it be too hot for them? Would they be ok? How can I help if it is too hot?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A GSD will be fine. I have had Akitas for over 25 years and they do fine in Alabama. In hot weather I do limit their outdoor time to early mornings and evenings.

I don't know where you live in Alabama that only gets to 90 degrees. I live in the extreme northern part of Alabama and very often see temps of 100 degrees and sometimes a few degrees over 100.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

He will be fine. German Shepherds are typically resistant dogs. My dad owned one - he used to live in Florida growing up. It gets extremely hot there; the German Shepherd was fine. He could shave the coat and always had a kiddie pool available in high heat. Hope I helped!

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

He will be fine. I have a labrador and a shepherd mix, they mostly lay under the trucks when it gets hot. I live in mississippi so I know how awful it is outside. Just make sure he has plenty of water all the time. My friend has a australian shepherd and it has long thick hair. It does alright too.

• NONAME
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

i used to have a german shephard and cant say the heat bothered it all that much in summer, chances are you ll probably walk it more in the summer and take it splashing around in a local river or lake anyhow althrough you do get long and short haired german shepherds,i had a short haired 1 so cant speak from experience for long haired ones

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I actually personally think guys look extremely warmer with short hair. I had the guy friend that had a afro and he cut it in eighth grade year and he suddenly got soo much cuter.

• 7 years ago

You can have any dog in any type of weather just some are made for different types of climates now as long as you have a air conditioner he sha'll be fine. Just don't keep him outside for too long.

• 7 years ago

No, with sufficient access to water and shade they will be fine. I have lived in Vegas in 120 degree weather with my black GSD, and he dealt with it fine.

Source(s): GSD Owner
  • 7 years ago

A GSD would be okay if they had proper shelter, as well as a pool to get cool in (a kiddie pool).

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I honestly dont possess the patience to keep my curly hair long

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.