Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

How do you convince your parent to buy you a dog?

I know this question has been asked before but my situation is different. My parents are getting divorced next week or so. My dad is not allergic to dogs and I have chosen to stay with him. My dad agrees that I should get a lovable pet but he thinks that we don't have enough room for a dog. That isn't true. We have a huge backyard. My dad is a professor and I am a student, so we will have the summer off. He doesn't think the summer will be long enough to train a dog, but we also have most of fall. Eventually we will get back to school, but even then I think the dog will be housebroken and know most the basic commands. My dad's major problem is money. He has a lot, actually, and gets a steady income from his job. I have 3,000 dollars saved up by babysitting and dogsitting. My neighbor, before he moved, had some wonderful dogs who I took care of. He had a great paying job and I got a lot of money. I think it is enough to pay for the dog. We are going to adopt, too, so it will not be costly. I am already extremely responsible. My dad's main complaint is that I am always depressed and sulking. I try to tell him that having a dog will fix that but usually he does not listen or is too busy. I told him that after the divorce we can get a dog. It won't be too long from now, but everything will be a little better. Our condition will become more stable to raise our dog. Please help and don't give me snide comments like "grow up" or "pay for it and get your own house"

Because I NEED a dog. I am depressed. I will grow up normally if I have this companion.

Hey, first answerer, DIDN'T I SAY NOT TO GIVE ME SNIDE ANSWERS? I NEED a dog. My consular SAID so. I'm not a silly kid looking for a dog to stupidly play with. I am depressed. I am on qualified legally but this dog could (according to the internet) even be considered my service dog. It will help me grow up. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because I'm a kid trying to convince my parent of something doesn't mean I am a stupid child. *****.

Best Answer

" I NEED a dog. I am depressed. I will grow up normally if I have this companion."

You don't know this and this is no guarantee. This sounds like the plea of a desperate child trying to get her way.

"I NEED a dog. My consular SAID so. "

Your counselor may have meant a pet, not an emotional support animal or especially a service animal.

"I am depressed. I am on qualified legally"

To BEGIN to QUALIFY for a service dog, you'd need to be DISABLED under ADA standards to begin to qualify for one (not just "depressed"), and for an ESA you'd need to be mentally disabled (or have a mental condition severe enough to be considered disabling) to begin to qualify for one. Just "being depressed" because mom and Dad are getting divorced doesn't come close to meeting the qualificatioMs.

". . . this dog could (according to the internet) even be considered my service dog."

Again, you're wrong. Don't believe 99% of what you read on the internet regarding service dogs. There's hundreds of websites giving incorrect information. Only a person who is legally disabled under ADA standards would begin to qualify for a service dog. Then there must be a task or tasks that they cannot perform themselves, that a dog could be trained to do, that's directly related to and mitigates the disabled person's disability. Comfort, companionship and support do not qualify as legal tasks.

Again, being depressed because of your parent's divorce doesn't qualify as a mental disability, especially one severe enough to qualify for an ESA or service dog.

Be warned. Having a fake service dog, or having one while unqualified is considered Federal Fraud, punishable by high fines, even higher lawyer fees, jail time and confiscation of your pet - forever.

Also beware of all the websites selling certification, registration, licenses and ID's for service dogs and ESA's. They're all fake, worthless and in court they'll claim they're selling them for novelty purposes only.

"It will help me grow up."

Don't count on an animal for that. You need to put your big girl panties on and grow up on your own. Only you can do that for yourself.

"Just because I'm a kid trying to convince my parent of something doesn't mean I am a stupid child. *****. "

That's obvious. Please learn how to spell councilor and, if these ***** symbols mean that you cussed, stop it.

ADD: I just realized you asked this from Canada. But since Canadian service dog law nearly mirrors US law, my answer stands. I'm just not certain whether Canada recognizes Emotional Support Animals.

Source(s): Service dog owner/handler and ADA service dog law violation investigator
    • Zozo5 years agoReport

Stop waving your nose in the air and get off your high horse. You actually can get an ESA for depression as long as it limits one or more major life activities (e.i. sleeping, eating, bathing). Oh, and please learn how to spell 'counselor', ignoramus.

Your parents Shouldn't own a dog if there good to be cheap. Dont feed your dog mexican food, like beans and cheese, and other fatty stuff. Or your dog will probably get pancreatitis from the high fat content. You can give him raw or cooked meats, that would be fine. And Ol Roy is pretty bad. I'm sure you know they have rendered animals in their food. Talk to your parents about pet nutrition, if thier not willing to buy a better food, your dog WIlL develop a problem, which will cost more in the long run. Or if for some reason he doesn't get sick, he will die early, from poor nutrition. And if your dad Intends to feed your dog beans and cheese, that absolutely terrible. At that point I would save up the money yourself. And take care of your dog on your own. I recommend a grain free kibble such as orijen. Dogs are carnivores, they are not designed to eat grains, fruits, or Vegetables. Good luck! And tell your parents that if there going to get a dog, (Even if its your dog) that they shouldn't be so cheap!! Find some good articles on pet nutrition and show your Parents

Where to start - you claim you are depressed, and a dog will solve that ? There cannot be a worse time to bring a dog into your home when you are "depressed". By the way your relationship with your dad seems bleak - so how bad was your mother ? Your budget of 3 grand - whats that about ??? If you are a dog lover, get down to your local shelter, and give an abandoned dog a life. Think about it, and do the right thing buddy.

Honestly, I think your dad's problem is that he has more important things to worry about right now. A divorce is one of the most stressful things you can go through. Back off and let this go for now. Maybe in a few months, or next summer, you can bring it up again. Don't try to capitalize on guilt either, your dad can obviously see through it.

In the meantime, if you want to spend time with dogs you should volunteer at a shelter. It will show your dad you are serious about caring for a pet, and you will probably find one there you like eventually.

You sound like a very sweet mature and responsible kid who deserves a dog. The summer is long enough to train your puppy, if you are diligent. A puppy will help the depression. I am an RN and who has many years experience in teen psychiatry. When I brought my dog to visit the kids they were calmer happier and needed less medication for outbursts. Dogs are widely used in hospitals and other settings for their therapeutic value. Maybe you could find some articles about this online and print them out for your dad to read. I hope this helps and you get your dog. He or she will be a lucky one!

Source(s): Psychiatric RN, Adult and Adolescent. Dog owner.

I totally understand you. I love my puppy. He is 3 months old, yes is still small but I have grown to love him so much. I had a dog name tiny. My best friend gave him to me when he was a baby. Unfortunately my tiny got ran over :( We went years without a new dog. I felt that NO dog could ever replace my tiny. Then a few months ago my cousin told me her dogs were having babies. They are both maltese. So she said she was gonna give me one. But my dad said I could only have one if it were male. I totally understand your need for a dog. Most people do not understand but dogs are very loving and friendly. After a long day at work, or a hard day at school, when you just want to come home to a warming lick on the face or a warm hug, a puppy will be there for you. If you so badly want a dog, talk to your dad on his free time, catch him when he is in a good mood. Explain to your dad that the divorce has been tough for you and you just want to have a friend at home. Your dad should be understanding on your want for a dog. I don't know much to say to you since I do not personally know the how your father is or his feelings towards pets, but I can say just speak to your dad. The best way to convince your dad is proving to him that you are responsible for a dog. Because if you really want a dog, you have to be really mature and responsible. As dogs require a lot of responsibility and attention. Its not just loving the dog and playing with it, it is also bathing, grooming, shots, feeding, cleaning its sleeping area, taking for a walk, and picking up its poop. Good luck! I really hope you convince your dad. Puppies are blessings!!

Your situation is not different.

Grow up and get your own place - then you can get a dog. You will not be responsible. Children never are. They make up all these excuses but never think about how much work and money it will cost. $3000 will not cover the lifetime expenses of a dog. If you want a dog it is YOUR responsibility - your father's money is not part of it. You need to get your life in order first.You need to be financially stable for it to be YOUR dog. If your father is paying for ANYTHING of the dog, then it is not yours. It is the family dog. If you do not have your own place, it is NOT your decision to get a dog. If your father does not want a dog that is the BOTTOM LINE. End of story, kid.

Find a small or medium size dog that dosent need a lot of bathing or work. After you do that reserch that dog in and write down how much it would cost including toys, bed, ect. When you look for a dog ask, when your dad isnt busy and ask him if he could take you to an animal shelter ( dont go to the same shelter every time go see different ones.). After all of that reserch,looking for the right dog, and pricing then go to your dad and tell him all of what you have.( This will take some time so dont rush it ok). Hoped that helped!!!! :D

Source(s): This is what i did.

Yeah you need a dog... Tell your dead that a dog is man's best friend that, you will pay for all of the money and you won't get that big of a dog and you can say since your leaving mom that makes me sad and I will be depressed but a dog might help, my friend got a dog when his parents split up, next thing you know in a year they were back together

We tend to think of dog training as a series of steps for teaching particular behaviors. To teach a dog to stay in a particular position, you reward her as she remains in place for gradually longer times, at gradually greater distances, with gradually increasing degrees of distraction. Read more https://tr.im/crAOY

Now, this is fine, training does involve teaching dogs specific behaviors with a step-by-step approach. This week, though, I’m going to discuss three mental habits that will not only enable you train more effectively but also make life pleasant for both you and your dog.