How do I go about working in the USA?

I am a recent graduate of teachers college here in Ontario. I want to work as a teacher in California. I'm not really sure what the steps are in order to do so. Will I need a visa? And the problem is, I can't apply for a visa without having a job offer (I think). But I can't apply for teaching jobs without a SSN and proof that I am allowed to work in the USA. So I can't get a visa without a job, but can't get a job without a visa??? Any help would be appreciated!

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)applications next received on 1st April 2014

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that tere is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©



  • 7 years ago

    Sorry this is NOT going to happen, apart from not having the correct skills you will NOT get a visa based off of being a teacher...............way too many of the home grown ones without jobs for anyone to even think about importing some one.

  • 7 years ago

    You would need a work visa but there are no work visas for teachers. We haven tens of thousands of teachers flipping burgers for minimum wage here in the U.S.

    That totally aside, you have no teaching credentials in the United States. You would have to go back to school.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town of San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    you're gonna need whatever it take to work legally to work for a school district

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.