Dan
Dan asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Did Richard Nixon make everyone fat?

69.2% of Americans are overweight

35.9% of Americans are obese

Earl Butz, who was Nixon’s Agriculture secretary starting in January 1971, used his department’s subsidies programs to push American farmers to increase their production of corn, and helped increase its export around the world, When corn prices fell and a surplus developed, Butz championed the spread of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is made from corn and is cheaper than conventional sugar.

HFCS use has skyrocketed in the ensuing decades, so that today it can be found in processed foods as varied as pizza, meat, bread, coleslaw and soft drinks. Some Americans prefer to buy Coca-Cola manufactured in Mexico because it is made with sugar, whereas U.S.-made Coca-Cola uses HFCS.

Sources:

infowars.com

CDC

Favorite Answer

Don't ask me, I'm just a paid liar. Much like my boss.

The lack of exercise and laziness is what made Americans fat.

Also, the fact that many people prefer the convenience of prepared foods, rather than cooking from a scratch, like the old days.

I still eat a healthy diet, even though I'm now on a budget, and it can be done. Exercise means getting off your duff, walking away from the computer or TV and doing something. :)

I blame America's obesity problems on the fact that A), most people live sedentary lifestyles now, and B), the availability of food, especially fast food, and C), the fact that people are gluttons.

I don't think Nixon made people fat.

If that's the case, can we have him back? I can barely afford food because of this Obama recession.

no