My laptop is unresponsive. I close the lid and everything and it won't even go to sleep. help.?

I have a brand new alienware m14x. First it started to lag, then it stopped doing everything completly and then the background disappeared. Everything started to stop working. My skype crashed, google chrome crashed. Now I closed the lid (normally puts is to sleep) but it is still running. I can hear the components and the fan running normally but the actual computer is not working. Any way I can fix this. This happened before and I let the battery die off. The problem is this time the battery is fully charged :(. It will take a while for it to die.

Favorite Answer

First, why don't you take out the battery. Why did you have all those things running. From what it sounded like, you had a bunch of things running at once. On computers, you only do things one at a time. Windows "multi tasking" is just tempararily storing the program and it's data in the computers RAM. If you close the lid, that just sends the computer another command to do after the last on finishes or comes to a point that you can "switch". Try doing the command Ctrl-Alt-Delete which has high priority and should pop up first. If the computer doesn't pull it up after a few minutes, take out the battery and put it back in. Ask someone to help you if you don't know which thing is the battery. One quick cheat for ALL of this is to just hold down your power button instead, which I do whenever my computer crashes from running Windows 98 in virtualbox (it crashes every time).

Good Luck

Take the battery out of the laptop or send it back to Alienware and have them fix it

Source(s): I work on computers and have over 10 years of exp

this could be or the battery could be bad. try taking the battery completely out & restart your computer. if it boots up then you know for sure that the battery is bad. good luck.

Source(s): Doctor, Minister, RN, Computer Tech, Consultant, and Author x 30+ years.