Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
Are these historical dates correct?
Titanic - Sunk on April 14, 1912. Can you tell me what time it hit the iceberg and WHEN did the rest of society find out it sunk? Also when did the titanic depart? When did the life boats reach land?
Any other major events that took place in Canada/USA in 1911/1912/1913?
Also when did the general public know there was a war going on? (ww1)
- Tundra RobLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
Many questions here, each probably should have been asked separately but anyway...
The Titanic departed from Southampton, England at noon (12 pm) on April 10, 1912. The ship arrived at Cherbourg, France at 6:30 pm the same day, and departed 1.5 hours later at 8 pm. Next the ship docked at Queenstown, Ireland (now called Cohb, in the Irish Republic) at 11;30 am on April 11 and departed 2 hours later at 1:30 pm. She struck the iceberg at 11:40 pm on April 14 and by 2:20 am on April 15 had sunk. The first rescue ship "Carpathia" arrived at 3:30 pm
Other events that happened in Canada:
- The Dominion Parks Branch (now called "Parks Canada") established, the first national park service in the world.
- 1911 election: The Conservative Party led by Robert Borden defeats the Liberal government led by Wilfred Laurier
- Canada Census: population of Canada is 7,200,000.
- Regina Cyclone: 28 people killed by a tornado on June 30
- The Calgary Stampede is held for the first time
- On November 7, a storm on the Great Lakes sinks 34 ships
- The National Transcontinental Railway is completed
- Canadian Arctic Expedition of 1913 to 1916
- The Laura Secord candy company is established, named for a hero of the War of 1812,
News of the war:
Canadian's were first informed of the beginning of World War I within a few hours of the declaration of war by Britain against Germany. The message was sent by transatlantic telegraph cable from London to Ottawa, within a few minutes of the declaration of war. Every newspaper printed the news as a front page headline, and most of the city dwelling people in Canada would have known within the first 24 hours. (There was no commercial radio or television at the time, so most people got their news by newspaper) Most rural residents would have found out within a day or two. Some of the more remote communities without phone or telegraph would not know about it until several days later. Of course most of the people who paid any attention to the news were expecting that war would be declared, so it did not come as a surprise to many.
- 8 years ago
Titanic sank at 2:20 AM on April 15th, 1912, but it hit the iceberg April 14 at 11:40
The closest ship, the Carpathia, was 4 hours away from the sinking Titanic. Titanic sank 2 hours before the Carpathia arrived to rescue survivors. The Carpathia arrived at New York on the April 18, 1912.