engine light came on when coolant level go to 204F?

just got a used 05 chevy cobalt ls with 100k on it all was running good until today i was driving and the check engine light came on i was like wtf... i chicked my coolant temp it was 204F or 96C. is this normal??? this is my first car and really hope i didnt get a lemon...a week ago i changed the oil and filter and also the air filter i put in today a STP fuel cleannign **** and a STP oil treatment could that have anything to do with it. by the way i dont drive it like a porsche mainly because gas is high sow any help will be good thanks.

Best Answer

Youll have to 1st see what code it set off. Go to a auto parts store & theyll check the code for you.

Could be a coincidence. The fan's supposed to come on around 210F, 204 is normal. The lowest the computer allows is 190 or 188; after that, it closes the thermostat and keeps the coolant between 190 and 210. It will rise much faster with dirty coolant, so try to flush the coolant system with some distilled water and Prestone Flush, then add the 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze.

If the fan is broken then you better have a good starter, 'cus the only way you'll keep from overheating while stuck in traffic at the height of summer is by shutting down the car and starting it back up when traffic starts moving again.

If you want to know the definitive reason why the light came on, you'll need to pull the codes.

edit: removed fuel system cleaner comments. Don't know how fuel system cleaners work, and apparently the Internet doesn't, either.

What does the coolant temp have to do with anything??? So what if it is at 204, that is normal. So why is the light on?? Did you actually take it somewhere to see what code has set for the light to come on?? I think the would be my first thought that would come to my mind is when the Check Engine Light came on, would be to see what code has set