why aren't doctors educated on nutrition?

Why does there seem to be a disconnect between Nutritionists,Dieticians and doctors? I've been dealing with IBS for 4 years now and I've asked about different probiotics or suggestings to eat better or what blood test to take etc. and I get the same answers. I asked about gluten and about a checking for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Bascially I am just frustrated and tired of playing doctor google I want REAL ******* answers damn it.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I think there's a lot of possible reasons.

1. There is too much information. To become a doctor, one needs to have SO much information about the body that in many cases, learning the basics is all you have time for. The specialists are there because you just can't learn everything about every system of the body, you know?

2. Our current medical system isn't set up to encourage or facilitate sharing information between doctors or medical professionals, so many times, if there IS new information that a specialty like nutrition or gastroenterology is getting, that updated information isn't being shared with the general practitioners. And there is SO MUCH new information that the 'general' knowledge they were first taught can become out of date very quickly, or disproven even, and the general practitioner won't even know.

3. Information is coming out very quickly, but medical textbooks are NOT. As an example, it was found out that what we thought about celiac disease was actually wrong. It was more frequent than we thought, the symptoms we thought you HAD to have for it turned out to be just a few symptoms you could have, but nearly half of celiacs DIDN'T. We thought you could only get it as a child and it turns out that more adults than children have it. This information was known for decades, literally, before it made it into medical textbooks in the USA. It was in medical textbooks in the UK 15 years before ours.

We don't have a workable system with our medical textbooks to change or add to medical textbooks any vital new information that needs to get out there quickly, and as a result, we have a lot of people playing google doctor because they can actually find out more up to date information on their condition than their doctors are aware of, if they know the right, reputable sources to check out.

4. When it comes to food, there is also a weird historical issue. When allergists first started as a specialty, we hadn't discovered IgE. So at the time, an allergist would help people who reacted abnormally to a food. You got headaches from eating spinach, you got hives, you vomited when you ate grapes - whatever it was, they would help you track it down and avoid it.

Then IgE was discovered - which causes anaphylaxis. And suddenly, the allergy specialty shifted. Now they were ONLY helping people who had IgE mediated allergies. Any OTHER problems you had with food? If it didn't involve IgE, you were on your own. There are thousands of people who have what is now classed as an 'intolerance,' but for most of these, there is literally no specialty that will diagnose it. Allergists won't because it's not an allergy. If it causes headaches or other problems, a GI doc won't, because a headache isn't in the GI tract. There's thousands of people who have no where to turn.

But people often CALL their reaction an allergy - that's the word we hear the most. So there are studies done on 'allergies' and many of these people who claim to react don't have an allergic reaction (although since most food intolerances don't have a test they aren't ever tested for if they react in other ways). As a result, doctors are taught in school, still, that food is almost NEVER the issue when it comes to medical problems. And I have a feeling that will remain in the medical texts until or unless someone finds more tests for looking at various food intolerances.

Whereas nutritionists and dieticians are now seeing more people who ARE having health improvements on changing their diets, so it seems that they are shifting away from the 'truths' about food and health that the doctors have developed.

• Tink

You're kidding right?

Your gastroentrologist did a microbe count with your first stool sample.

So I'm sure he knows all about flora of the intestinal tract.

He would have noticed gluten intolerance if he took a biopsy during an endoscopy.

Does your nutritionist know about methyl donors? Where to get them? What they do?

Because your doctor knows all about them - and I'm sure your nutritionist and dietitian wouldn't know most the B- Vitamins ARE methyl donors.

I hate to tell you this - but quite often there are no answers.

Source(s): Edit: If I were going to consider anything, I would consider this - ask your doctor if you should be evaluated by a physical therapist. You might want to print some of these for him https://www.google.com/#biw=1024&bih=676&sclient=p...

YOu have a diagnosis of IBS and it appears you don't like that diagnosis or don't agree with it. It also appears that you want to play doctor.

If you don't agree with your diagnosis then go to another doctor for a second opinion. You won't get much sympathy also with regards to experimental therapies or research studies performed on select individuals. It appears that people with IBS are also subjected to alternative baloney therapies that are all over the Net.

The disconnect between nutrition, Dietitians and doctors is the fact that not much hard evidence exists out there with it comes to the nutritional disease connection and again lots of self described experts in nutrition are full of baloney with invented cures for every disease out there. I doctor is not going to experiment with you based on what some nut says on the Internet.

• phil

The nutritional aspect of healing is a holistic approach, western medicine has been very slow to embrace holistic healing because it has it's roots in third world countries and the west looks upon third world medicine as witchcraft, voodoo, and quackery (western medicine has been very arrogant). However, we are discovering the merit of eastern medicine and how natural medical approaches are a vital link for the health of the whole body AND all it parts, and for how all these parts work together for the health of the whole person (holistic). Basically, western medicine has been snobs.

As far as your IBS, I can't give you any information you don't already know.

Source(s): I've studied both eastern and western medicine
  • april

So do your own gluten test. Then you'll know.