If illmatic was never made...?

What differences (if any) do you think there would be in hip hop today if illmatic was never released and Nas' debut was It was written?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Illmatic was one of the first really mainstream albums that used multiple producers. Before an album would usually be produced by one single producer: Paid in Full (Eric B), Juice Crew's albums (Marly Marl), Kool G Rap's albums (DJ Polo), Enter the Wu-Tang (RZA), and the list goes on and on. I feel like multiple producers collaborating on an album would not be as frequent as it is today.

• 8 years ago

i would say nothing really would of change just off the fact that Big Ready To Die was a classic album that brought the east coast back even tho illmatic is a good album it's overrated. Hip hop don't began and end with illmatic people don't understand that it's other classic albums out there. and like somebody else said if it wasn't for illmatic Nas might be a nobody cause in all honesty that's his only album that u can say is a 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 its his only true classic. all his other albums have misses on them he never really matched illmatic again in terms of having a album were basically every song or most songs is good. and personally one time for your mind makes illmatic a 4 out of 5 to me. im a nas fan to so im not hating on him nas is a top notch lyricist but he's really living off of one album and that's illmatic

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Hard to tell, Illmatic isn't the greatest album though. The best albums are:

Follow the Leader - Eric B. and Rakim

Paid in Full - Eric B. and Rakim

Long Live the Kane - Big Daddy Kane

Those albums inspired Nas to write what he wrote.

Those three albums brought a more complex rhyming level to hip hop music.

Source(s): Listener.
  • 8 years ago

It's hard to say.

A better question would've been something like "how much of an impact did Illmatic really make on hip hop?" or something like that. This hypothetically stuff is too complicated to even start determining.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

It Was Writteb would be liked better as no comparison to Illmatic and less disappoibtmeb with I Am... and Nastradamus.

Hip hop will be different

Many rappers wont be as good or as known

• DB-C
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The Message from It Was Written must have been a top Nas song ever, much would have changed for sure.

• Esco97
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

That wouldn't make sense. Some of IWW talked about his rising fame and it had samples from Illmatic. This question is invalid.

• 8 years ago

No illmatic means no dead presidents 2 meaning jayz not blowing up meaning no kanye, no j cole etc

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nas might be a nobody

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.