eBay will I have to pay taxes for this?

I'm buying http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-17R-SE-i7-363...

the thing is, it says in highlighted yellow near the bottom "WE DO NOT COLLECT VAT OR IMPORT TAXES". Does this mean I do not have to pay taxes? It's coming from the US and going to Canada.

Is the only thing extra I'll have to pay shipping?

So I DO need to pay taxes? I live in nova scotia, so does this mean I'm going to have to pay 72 for taxes and the 95 for shipping?

• Ian
    Favorite Answer

You may have to pay import tax or duty on the laptop as it is coming in from another country. Not sure what this might be as I am UK based. The item does state - "International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges." Crossing from teh USA into Canada makes it an "international item".

When they say they "don't collect VAT or import taxes" they are telling you that they are your responsibility. I guess you will be able to find out what the duty will be on line with a quick search on "Canadian Import Duties".

Source(s): Retired company accountant.
  • tro

it means they don't collect the import or vat, but that doesn't mean that when the item is shipped to you in Nova Scotia that it is not going to be taxed when it passes thru customs, they will collect any import or tax that is due

• Judy

No, you'll still have to pay the VAT - they're just saying they don't handle the VAT transaction, it's not included in what you pay them.

It means if there are taxes owed, you have to pay them, as seller is not.