Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 7 years ago

Is acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with MTX injections to the stomach?

My EX recently told me she has leukemia... here is what she has said to me so far:

- She has "First stage of leukemia" - easily treatable

- She had a routine insurance blood test and they caught it

- I asked her what the type is - she first said Blood (???)

- Then called it Acute Lympho

- She says they are giving her some pills and MTX chemo injections to take at home. Her current BF has to give them to her, in the stomach, every other day.

Based on what I can find on Google all the above doesn't add up but I am not a doctor - Can anyone look at the above and confirm if she COULD be telling the truth or if this is just a sympathy ploy?

Thank you

Thanks April - Assuming the missing "non" was a typo. Does the rest of it then make sense?

Favorite Answer

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia is not staged like that- that's the first issue here. It is assigned risk level, but not a stage.

Methotrexate is used in several forms during treatment for this kind of leukemia, but it is not given in injections into the stomach. Methotrexate is given orally in pill form, intravenously with either escalating dose or high dose over twenty-four hours spent in the hospital, and also intrathecally, meaning it is injected into the spinal fluid during a lumbar puncture. Someone with acute lymphoblastic leukemia will have all three types of methotrexate during their treatment, which lasts a couple of years.

Methotrexate is not used alone to treat this kind of leukemia- it's only one of several drugs that is used. If she was just diagnosed, the first month of treatment (induction therapy) would include IV vincristine, an IV anthracycline (doxorubicin or daunorubicin), intrathecal methotrexate and/or intrathecal cytarabine, and sometimes IV or IM asparaginase. ALL of these are given at the treatment center. Steroids are also given, and those are taken orally and can be taken at home.

As someone who works in pediatric oncology and is quite familiar with this kind of leukemia, this does not make sense to me at all.

She will get the chemo, MTX, as a pill. The injections in the stomach are likely a long acting blood thinner. Not sure what else it would be.

• april

Hmmm, it's used to treatAcute nonlymphocytic leukemia..So tell her to try again...