Ramadan: is it acceptable in islam to give mahar(dowry) to girl in form of jewelley or does it have to be cash?

My cousin is getting married and we wonder if we have to give the girl cash on top of gold? We're thinking of giving her $2000 in cash and a small gold necklace and a diamond ring for the nikah with clothes etc. At the reception which will be a year later we will give her more jewelry and more expensive wedding dress. So if we do all that thn do we have to give her cash dowry?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

i don't know why we turned marriage into a prostitution contract ?! (sorry , i mean no offense at all )

in islam dowry(mahr) could be a flower , could be a lovely words , lovely honest romantic poem , could be non monetary at all .. prophet muhammad allowed a man to marry another woman and give her a dowry as a recitation of some quranic verses , without money at all ..

salamo aleykom ,, good luck to you and your cousin.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Robin
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It doesn't matter what people think, all that matters is the example of the walking quran. Rather than a wedding aniversary, celebrate your marriage as a completion of your deen by giving others what allah has given you (ie your marriage). Help those who cannot get married, in some way (ie loan to be repaid back islamically) or provide food for the poor. Inshallah. Quran 47:38 is the reference to why I'm saying the above.

• 4 years ago

A Japanese Zen Backyard is a backyard that utilities simplicity and various theories of ‘cause and result‘ , employed to boost rest and tranquility. Zen Gardening is a excellent way to get concerned in the backyard and nevertheless truly feel relaxed , tension cost-free and closer to nature. If you are interested in make one for you then the greatest spot to learn how is this https://tr.im/D8O2z , Ideas 4 Landscaping guidebook.

Ideas 4 Landscaping will save you cash and give you the options that you would otherwise not discover. With his database , you'll truly be ready to make the "dream property" landscape you've constantly wanted to have.

• 7 years ago

Cash or jewelry - what ever bride accepts happily is fine if jewelry is not of Mum lying in drawer for years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

You have to give Mahr to the bride and when the groom go on stage the bride friends or sister would ask him to pay to see his bride. Then they would split money themselve.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahr

This will tell you more and I can't put this in to words. Sorry

• 7 years ago

It depends upon mutual understanding. If you behave like a miser

on the marriage of your brother, then sister of your would be

husband will be as miser. So be generous as you like your in laws

to be generous on your marriage.

• 7 years ago

Salam.

"Anything of considered monetary value--such as a ring--can be given as mahr"

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=8570&...

http://spa.qibla.com/browse.asp?ToDo=browse&id=12&...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I found this i hope this would be useful

What is the minimum amount of mahr (Dowry) permitted by Shareea? I found in one book, the dowry of the most of the wives and daughters of Prophet (PBUH) was 480 Dirhams. What is the equivalent amount for the present time?

Praise be to Allaah.

The minimum amount of mahr has been explained in the report in al-Saheeh (no. 1425) narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d al-Saa’idi, who said: “A woman came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, I have come to give myself (in marriage) to you.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) looked at her and looked her up and down, then the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lowered his head and paused. When the woman saw that he had not made a decision about her, she sat down. A man from among the Sahaabah said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, if you are not interested in her, then marry her to me.’ He said, ‘Do you have anything?’ He said, ‘No, by Allaah, O Messenger of Allaah.’ He said, ‘Go to your people and see if you can find anything.’ So the man went, then he came back and said, ‘No, by Allaah, I could not find anything.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Look and see (if you can find anything), even if it is only an iron ring which you can give.’ So he went, then came back, and said, ‘No, by Allaah, O Messenger of Allaah, not even an iron ring. But (I have) this izaar (garment) of mine, she can have half of it.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘What can she do with your izaar? If you are wearing it she will have nothing of it.’ The man sat down, then after a long time had passed, he got up (to leave). The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw him leaving and called him. When he came, he said, ‘What do you know of the Qur’aan?’ He said, ‘Soorah Such-and-such and Soorah Such-and-such.’ He said, ‘Do you know them by heart?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘Then go, you are married to her by what you know of the Qur’aan.’”

This hadeeth shows that it is permissible for the mahr to be a little or a lot of whatever is considered to be wealth, if both partners agree, because an iron ring is extremely little. This is the madhhab of al-Shaafa’i and is also the view of the majority of scholars among the earlier and later generations. This was also the view of Rabee’ah, Abu’l-Zinaad, Ibn Abi Dhi’b, Yahyaa ibn Sa’eed, al-Layth ibn Sa’d, al-Thawri, al-Oozaa’i, Muslim ibn Khaalid, Ibn Abi Laylaa, Dawood, the fuqahaa’ of the scholars of hadeeth and Ibn Wahb among the companions of Maalik. It was also the view of all the scholars of the Hijaaz, Basrah, Kufa and Syria, and others, that whatever the couple agree upon is permissible (as a dowry), whether it is a lot or a little, such as a whip, a pair of shoes or an iron ring, etc.

With regard to the question about the mahr of the Mothers of the Believers:

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (no. 1426) that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “I asked ‘Aa’ishah the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) what the mahr given by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was. She said: ‘The mahr that he gave to his wives was twelve ooqiyah and a nashsh.’ He said, Do you know what a nashsh is? He said, she said it is half of an ooqiyah. That was five hundred dirhams. This was the mahr given by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to his wives.”

The scholar Ibn Khaldoon said:

“The consensus of the scholars from the beginning of Islam and the time of the Sahaabah and the Taabi’een has been that the shar’i dirham is that of which ten coins weigh seven mithqaals of gold. The ooqiyah is forty dirhams of this type, and on this basis it is seven-tenths of a dinar… All of these amounts are agreed upon by scholarly consensus (ijmaa’).”

(Muqaddimah Ibn Khaldoon, p. 263)

Based on this, the weight of a dirham in grams is 2.975 grams.

So the mahr of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was 500 x 2.975 = 1487.5 grams of silver.

The price of one gram of pure silver that has not been worked is approximately 1 riyal, so the mahr in riyals is approximately 1487.5 riyals.

In dollars it is approximately $396.7

And Allaah knows best.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.