USA immigration questions?

Sorry if this gets really long.

Hi, my name is Joe. I am 14 years old and I one day would like to move to the united states of america. I really just don't like Canada and want to be part of the united states because it is a great place to live and work.

I have familiarized myself wit united states immigration law and know the many ways that one may move to the States.

My citizenship is Canadian and Italian ( My father is and Italian citizen ).

I realize that Canadians are limited when it comes to US immigration as they are not able to apply for DV lottery so I have a few statements and then questions.

- I do not have immediate family to sponsor me, but I do have an aunt in Chicago, IL that I can live with.

-can I apply for DV lottery because I am an Italian citizen, or does my Canadian citizenship prevent me from doing so?

-If I am able to get into the united states of america, will I be able to apply for Law enforcement positions after I get my citizenship? ( I find law enforcement in my country isnt as good as law enforcement in the States ).

-Can I do this without getting a TN-1 visa?

All answers will be appreciated!

4 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    While you are looking to leave Canada and come to the US to live, there is another question today from an American looking to move to Canada to live. No country is perfect, and it is much easier to succeed in your own country.

    Your aunt cannot sponsor you.

    Whether they would look at you as a dual citizen, that will be up to the person reviewing your application. When they see you were born in Canada to a Canadian mother, they may consider you 100% Canadian.

    Many law enforcement agencies in the US require their officers to be US citizens. That means you would have to wait a long time to be an officer.

    What you need to do is grow up, get a good education, go to university in Canada, and then evaluate your options. The city you live in may not be to your liking, but there are many excellent places to live and work in Canada.

    Source(s): US resident
  • 8 years ago

    You aunt cannot petition for you. Only a parent, spouse, or child over 21 who is a US citizen can do that.

    As an Italian, you are eligible for the Green Card lottery.

    Once you have become a US citizen, you can apply to work in law enforcement.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town of San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Since the US is just debating to reform their immigration law and you can't move anywhere else before you are 18 I would highly recommend to

    a) not worry about it until you are 18

    b) worry about your education instead. Because, no matter what kind of immigration law will be passed or not, the US will always want highly educated people and not be interested in uneducated people.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    One day you may be able to move there or at any rate Canadians can stay up to 6 months anyway so its not that bad is it. I hear working in Canada is better right now anyway.

    Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.