What foreign automaker is leaving the U.S. market after this year?

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

The oracle of Google has no announcements from any brand discontinuing sales. That said, Suzuki made the announcement at the end of last year and is in process of fading away. The "Wall Street Journal", May 2013 predicted that Volvo and Mitsubishi will soon disappear from the US due to dwindling market share. CODA, a niche EV company that used Chinese cars as it's base has declared bankruptcy for it's car division recently.

Personally, I think it will be smart, if not this year, then soon. I had an 08 Fortwo that was special ordered and I survived the 2 year wait list and it was fun at first, then WAY too many problems for a new car. The rear hatch was replaced for leaking and rusting, but there was still rust stain drips after it rained on the various plastic panels (all over- not just back.) When I complained the dealer washed and waxed it. Not looking into WHAT was rusting underneath and bleeding out. This was in the first year! The transmission reflash/ service made it less harsh, but still pretty rough. The mileage wasn't that great, especially with the AC on. Service went further downhill when Benz took over from Penske. And they started pushing it as a "cheap car" with $99/month leases to move them. My $20k car was now seen as an econobox and easily mistaken for a $5,000 Tata Nano, not a "premium small car". I got rid of it in year 3 with 12k and a warranty that expired a year prior for $7k. Most of the people that I know that had them got rid of them for Fiats (who seemingly stalked fortwo owners with marketing and deals when the 500 came out.) Their sales numbers are spiraling downward, the electric version is just a joke. There was a refresh for '13 and an "all new" model is due shortly. With sales of 10,000 units a year for 2012, I can't see why Benz would spend the money to engineer and certify it for sale in the US. The smart centre where I now live is a boutique out-building of the Mercedes dealer, desks for 12 sales people, yet there is only 1 and 1 smart mechanic. Often a handwritten note on the door that she is away and seek assistance in M-B showroom. I recently received an email that there are people organizing a class action law suit- apparently the engines are requiring replacement @ 50k miles and owners are being told to buy a new engine or suck it. They failed to deliver on the promises made that pre-sold so many cars and it has infuriated many owners that were originally "brand ambassadors" that they used to sell more cars in the first 3 years. The reality of it has become that it's not inexpensive to buy or maintain, it's not well built and the fuel economy is only so-so compared to modern vehicles, especially for a small, light car. I recently visited Orlando where there were tons of them on the streets 2 years ago, this time I only saw 1 in 3 days. It is a modern "Le Car" and will be "au revoir" soon.

Suzuki dealers will sell off the last of their available vehicles in 2013 and Suzuki will no longer sell cars in the US..

Mitsubishi is having an extremely hard time in the US, though no formal plans to stop selling cars has been mentioned in the press.

Smart also has had a rough go, but is hopeful about their new plug-in EV. They will not go down without a fight.

Maybach, which is owned by Mercedes, has either already shut down sales in the US or will be doing so very soon.

Source(s): car buff

I don't think any are. We're gaining Alfa Romeo soon, so we have one arriving, and none leaving.

• David

Mitsubishi, Tesla, and Volvo they don't make enough money here!