Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Open to Closed Pyometra in Dog?

My 8 year old beagle has had pyometra for the past little while. She has been taking antibiotics for the past 5 days. It was open pyometra so the pus was coming out, however starting today she has been more alert, eating kibble and drinking willingly, has less trouble jumping, is not constantly peeing and the pus has stopped completely! Is it possible that it has changed from open to closed pyometra? Can that happen? Is she on the way to recovery? Is that even possible without surgery? Thanks in advance.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If she had gone to closed pyo, it's unlikely she would be feeling better. However, why are you not consulting with your VET? He/she is the person to make such determinations.

With the one dog I had which developed open pyo, we used antibiotics (which had no effect) and then prostaglandins (which cured her). So yes, *sometimes* pyo can be cured. But you keep in close touch with your vet, because things can go wrong quickly.

Regardless, now that she appears stronger, you should be asking your vet when you can schedule a spay. There is NO REASON to keep her intact: she is too old to breed and she has a huge chance of getting pyo again.

EDIT:

"Dogs are susceptible to developing pyometra again after medical treatment; the recurrence rate is as high as 80%. " http://www.animalmedcenter.com/faqs/category/pyome...

• 8 years ago

Since she has been to the vet and on antibiotics, it sounds like she is on the mend. Keep a very very close eye on her temperature. Any spike what so ever and go immediately to the vet. Seriously, I would take her temperature 3-4 times a day. Pyo is very serious. Depending on what may have triggered it... She really should be spayed to prevent future flare ups.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.