My mom stepped on a rusty nail and bled a lot, should I force her to get checked?

My mom's always been like this, whenever something is wrong with her health, she won't go to a hospital unless she's half dead in her bed. It's very frustrating. It happened about an hour ago and she applied ointment but I'm scared it won't be enough? :( She hasn't had her tetanus vaccine in over 10 years :(

Favorite Answer

Strongly suggest teitnus (spelling?) shot! Especially with A rusty nail! If she really will not agree! At least make a pack of Hydrogen Perioxide using a wash cloth-soak it with Perioxide and have her put her foot up for 10-20 min with this on! Then follow with Triple AntiBiotic ointment! Redo this process several times a day for next couple of days!

As long as there is NO puss or red lines running away from wound she should be fine!

If in doubt have a nurse at local Walgreens take. Look at the wound! But if cleaned completely now And kept extremely clean it should heal! But remember on bottom of foot it is on a dark musky place all day! Maybe she could wear open shoe like flip flop or house shoe for weekend!!

BE SURE TO WATCH FOR INFECTION!!

Source(s): Have lots of kids and 13 grand kids all outdoor people

I would definitely have her checked. Like now! Not having a tetanus vaccine is not good at all! You should force her to go to the hospital or a doctors office. They will be able to tell how bad it is, if its gonna be infected and so on... Hope this helps and I hope she turns out ok!

doc