What would make a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee constantly dies at low speeds, stop and go and in reverse?

I've changed the plugs, plug wires, battery, battery terminals, and battery cable. Mostly dies at stop signs, stop lights, and when in reverse

The I.A.C. Sensor was replaced 6months ago in an effort to fix this. I do hear a hissing noise so I'm pretty sure it's the Vacuum lines. I've seen many videos and articles on the inter-web suggesting I spray brake parts cleaner on all the vacuum line connections and listen for an idle change, this would locate the leak so I can patch it.. has anyone tried this with success or epic fail? nervous about fire lol

Favorite Answer

It drives fine at higher speeds though? First thing, tighten the battery cables, I had car die at stops because of a loose cable once. Secondly, it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel or power, or both unless at higher revs.

It could be the TPS (throttle position sensor), the fuel pump or relay (doubtful, but it's a possibility), or possibly the alternator. Do the lights dim/radio die along with the car when it comes to a stop or is running at a low idle? That's definitely alternator/battery cable related, check your alternator is charging properly. If you can rule that out, it could your cables are simply too loose, badly grounded, or altogether faulty.

If it were your fuel pump or relay I'd expect a rough/uneven idle, regardless of rpms. TPS.... I'm not sure, I'd expect a more constant problem from that going as well.

You have replaced your air and fuel filters recently yes? Clogged filters can prevent adequate fuel and air from getting to your engine and starve it.

just empty every pocket lol its probably your idle speed sensor i've replaced tons of them or there is a fuse that controls your idle but when it goes it will look like its still good but if you put a tester to it its bad ive ran into that about 5 times

Source(s): mechanic

you're getting low vacuum to the motor so somewhere you gotta vacuum leak that sucking the air out of the block causing it die at stops and at low idle

Check the fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines etc. It is probably not getting enough fuel.