How do I inform employer about extended sick leave?

I suffer from anxiety and depression. I have been seeing a psychologist regularly for the past 6 months. I'm beyond stressed out and it is affecting every aspect of my life (relationship, social, work). I also suffer from migraines and the frequency and severity has dramatically increased. This has lead to missed work days and low productivity. I can't concentrate and my memory is shot. I have no energy and no motivation to do anything. At all. I did discuss my stress and work load with my boss. We shifted my workload about a month ago but it hasn't helped because it's still coming back to me and I'm still overwhelmed. I feel completely useless.

I need a break. My doctor is willing to give a note for an extended leave. For employment insurance (Canada), I would qualify for up to 15 weeks. Whether I'm accepted or not, I have the financial end sorted out.

This just leaves the matter of addressing it with my employer. How to I tell him? When do I tell him? Do I give advance notice or take leave immediately? What do I tell him? I know he doesn't need to know my medical condition, only that I am unable to work and, when I return, whether I have any restrictions.

I've never been in this situation before. Any advice is appreciated. I take pride in my work and I'm good at my job so this whole thing has left me feeling out of sorts. I am not myself and I need to get better so I can go back to being productive and happy.

2 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You need to tell your employer before taking leave and give them the doctors note. They need to know so they can get someone else to do your job while your out.

    If you have a doctors note they are required by law to keep a job at equal pay available for you when you return but it does not have to be the same job, it is up to them not you.

    As long as you are under a doctors care it is very difficult for them to let you go. However after a set time frame they will take you off short term coverage at full pay and put you onto long term coverage which is usually a percentage of your normal pay. Your benefits usually are continued.

    You may want to inquire with your HR dept on that issue as it can affect your financial position.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Put it in writing and give a weeks notice

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.