help me convince people that politics matter?

it would be nice if i had something fairly short and simple (possibly a short story) that i can show people who are too comfortable with their lives to care about how this stuff impacts other people.

those people want to "stay out of politics" or whatever, they don't want to be "too political" (which seems to mean knowing anything at all about the forces of power and society). it would be nice if i had something well written to give them, because my own writing isn't always the best.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • George
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sadly, many people don't care about issues like "freedom." Tell them this: Your health care premiums could be going up. Your retirement funds could be shrinking. Your student loans could be going up. Your water or food could get contaminated. Your taxes could be going up. Always something that directly affects them.

If they smoke weed, get them interested in NORML to decrease their chances of being in jail for the rest of their life. If they say "the government is hopelessly corrupt" then point to the many victories of Common Cause: http://www.commoncause.org/site/pp.asp?c=dkLNK1MQI...

Also, if voting didn't matter, why would Republicans be trying to stop you from doing it? Tell them that.

List of GOP attempts to do just that: http://www.cps-news.com/wp-content/misc_html/voter...

• 7 years ago

Votes don't matter, the corporations and other power players will get what they want either by manipulating your vote or if no one votes then directly. I feel this way because I know too much about the forces at work in society. Face it people don't have power in a mark on a piece if paper its all about cash.

• 7 years ago

politics is a game to grab power. the truth is that you and I need to tell them when elections come they need to choose the right candidate. in our country were paying it because our leader is convinced that making are country into a third one will solve our problems. the truth is were the last hope for freedom. so tell them that being vigilant constantly is the only way to preserve freedom.

Source(s): the blaze
  • 7 years ago

Politics influences every aspects of life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Just tell them the story of "The Little Stalin that Could". "Hitler Hears a Jew" is a good story too.

• 7 years ago

They are plenty of poltical sites to find stories about his .

Thomas Sowell is excellent for one.

Source(s): Thomas Sowell
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

If politic did not matter, people wound not kill each other so frequently over it.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

it's the way business is conducted in government

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.