why do notes on guitar repeat itself?

why is the guitar made in a way notes repeat themselves? I know this allows you to play the same chord on various places on the guitar... but other than that, why ? i mean, instruments like Piano do not have this and it works very well... why do the guitar have this

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The piano lays out 88 notes in front of you and none of them are there twice; that's true. And the strings of a guitar overlap one another by all but 5 (or 4) notes per string. That's true, too.

However, the piano dedicates a string or set of strings to each note, giving a pianist the advantage of playing up to 88 notes at a time, at the expense of size and portability. If a guitar laid out the 88 notes in the same way, you'd have serious design problems.

The first option would be to have just one string with 87 frets. If it were even possible (and I don' t think it is), I think you'll agree that that would be a ridiculously impractical instrument. You'd have to jog to get from one end of the neck to the other, and you could only play one note at a time.

Perhaps you mean that each string ought to continue where the last one leaves off? That's our second option. This would give you another impossible instrument. Assuming a 21-fret guitar, you'd have a range of 132 notes: 22 notes per string, times 6. That's 11 octaves. The lowest frequency a human can hear is usually considered to be 20 Hz. 11 octaves higher is over 40 kHz, but human hearing (in small children) goes up to only about 20 kHz. That means, on the highest pitched string, you could only hear up to the 10th fret or so. Your problems don't end there. Because the strings of a guitar are very nearly the same length, the lowest string would need to be so loose and thick as to not be playable. The highest string would need to be so taught that you couldn't push it down to the frets. Even if, through magic, it were possible to create such an instrument, you'd still need to reach up and down the neck like crazy to play a melody over the point where one string takes over for another. And any pair of notes in any chord would be about two octaves apart, and that's only if they're on adjacent strings.

A third option would be to forget the frets and dedicate a string to each note as the piano does. This guitar would look remarkably like a piano on its side, except it would have a strap.

I hope you'll now agree that a guitar's design is already pretty well thought-out.

• 7 years ago

What? They have the same notes.Low . E is low. E

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.