Are my vocal chords damaged?

This may sound stupid, but I don't care because I'm genuinely worried. I went to a One Direction concert about a month ago, so of course I sang/screamed my heart out. I lost my speaking voice for about a day and my voice was still cracking for a few days after that. My singing voice was completely terrible and lost after the concert, so I didn't do any singing for a while. Today, I tried doing some covers just to see what the deal was and my voice has seriously changed. I can't sing as high as I was able to before and my belting has also gotten worse. I'm really scared because performing is a big part of my life and if I can't sing properly anymore I'll be SO upset because of how much I've helped myself improve in the past year. Is it possible that my vocal chords are damaged, and if they are, is it permanent? Anything I can do to fix it?

Side note: I'm a fourteen (almost fifteen) year old girl. This is not my voice changing.

Favorite Answer

The only sure way to find this out is to go see an ear-nose-throat specialist who will be able to take a look at your throat properly. The damage is most likely not permanent, but the lesson is, please do NOT do that screaming anymore.

Source(s): a student of speech-language-voice therapy

Your voice needs rest and it will take a few weeks. Don't sing at all and don't talk unless it's necessary.