DMD3 asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 years ago

Can you log PIC time when training for an instrument rating?

When you train with an instructor for your instrument rating, will you be able to log that time as PIC (Pilot In Command)? And I don't mean just flying around with the foggles on to log simulated instrument time; what I mean is when you're learning how to shoot approaches, fly holding patterns, etc., can that be logged as PIC?

The reason I ask is that 50 hours of PIC Cross Country is required for the instrument rating. I'll be doing some cross country flying while training for the rating, but if that time cannot be logged as PIC, then I'm going to have to build up some PIC Cross Country hours before I start training.

(I realize it would be prudent to ask my instructor, but I'm currently unable to get ahold of him at the moment).

Favorite Answer

Yes assuming your are rated in the aircraft that your are flying. If you hold a private pilot ASEL, you cannot log PIC of a ASES or Helicopter, airship.etc... Assuming your flying the the same type of aircraft you completed your Private in than yes you can log PIC any time that flight is flown VFR. You can not log PIC in actual IMC or on an actual IFR Flight Plan as your are not IFR Rated, and your Instructor will be PIC during this time.

Source(s): CFI

You cannot log PIC while on an IFR flight plan or while operating in IMC conditions, but you can log all other flight time as PIC if you are the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft you are rated for. So, if you do a cross-country flight and file IFR, you cannot log PIC. If you do a mock IFR cross-country flight and shoot some approaches in VFR conditions, which is not uncommon for training purposes, you can log it as PIC

Source(s): ATP / CFII / MEI / AIGI, ex-airline pilot with 25+ years instructing experience.

Contrary to popular belief, you may log PIC time in actual IMC without having an instrument rating. The FAA often clarifies that logging PIC and acting as PIC are not the same. The FAA has also clarified that you may log PIC when you are the sole manipulator of the controls for an aircraft for which you are rated. This means category/class rating, not an instrument rating, which has to deal with weather, not aircraft. This applies to endorsements as well, i.e. You can log PIC in a complex aircraft without having the required endorsement, but you cannot act as PIC for that flight.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_o...

Source(s): FAA legal interpretations

RE:

When you train with an instructor for your instrument rating, will you be able to log that time as PIC (Pilot In Command)? And I don't mean just flying around with the foggles on to log simulated instrument time; what I mean is when you're learning how to shoot approaches, fly holding...

Source(s): log pic time training instrument rating: https://trimurl.im/c59/can-you-log-pic-time-when-t...

If you have your PPL you can log PIC time, as long as you stay out of actual IFR conditions.

Yes you can. I frequently would do all of my students 50 hrs of pic XC time while training. If you are rated in the aircraft you are doing your training in then you can absolutely log pic time. If you and your instructor do a XC along with the training then you can log pic XC time as well.

Source(s): I am a 6 year CFI. See part 61 under logging of pilot time.