How do you read PC specs?

Can someone just walk me through of how to read specs. Like make a dummy version because i see all these numbers and i am just go brain dead.

Thank you

Update:

I know where the specs are i need to know how to read them.

Update 2:

Like ram and stuff

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Zach
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Reading RAM, basic system components, basic capabilities, and finding OS architecture (32 or 64 bit OS):

Click on the Start button. Click on Control Panel. Click System and Security. Click System. This screen shows the Windows Experience Index (more on that later), what CPU is installed and what frequency it is at, amount of installed RAM, what architecture the system is, and if Windows is activated and/or legitimate. The WEI is a basic system capability list. If you click on it, it will give you a more informative break down of the computer. Windows Vista tops at 5.9, 7 tops at 7.9, and 8 tops at 9.9. These scores are not compatible with each other, though. For instance, a video card that gets a 7.9 in Windows 8 may only get a 7.7 in Windows 7. If the number is greyed out or not there, you need to run the system analysis. The instructions to do so are on that screen.

Finding installed components:

Click the Start button. Right-click the Computer icon. Click Manage. The User Account Control window may pop up, just click Continue. Click Device Manager on the tree on the left. This opens up a list of currently installed devices, all organized into families based on function. Open the trees and look at the devices. You can double-click items to open a more detailed windows of the items' functions. Be very careful, though, because there are options to uninstall hardware in the windows. If you uninstall something, your system may become unstable or unusable. Look carefully at what you are clicking before you click anything.

Finding and adjusting your Virtual RAM:

Click on the Start button. Click on Control Panel. Click on System and Security. Click on System. Click on Advanced System Settings in the panel on the left. If the UAC pops up, just allow it to continue. Click the Advanced tab (should already be on that tab, actually). Under Performance, click Settings. Click the Advanced tab. Under Virtual Memory, click on Change. Here, you can change how much Virtual Memory is available and what hard drive it is on. I highly recommend using a standard hard drive for this. If the computer has set a solid state drive as the virtual RAM, change it to a hard drive because SSD's will suffer great performance loss if they are used for the Virtual RAM. If you decide to change anything, I recommend letting the computer decide the size of the Virtual RAM, because t will automatically make the RAM bank larger if it gets maxed out that way. If you want to set your own size, you should make it at least half the size of the installed RAM, so that there will be enough for a kernel-based memory dump should your computer blue-screen.

How you read these is fairly simple. The amount of RAM is just that: the amount of RAM. Typically, you want no less than 4GB for either 64 or 32 bit OS's. 4GB is the max for 32-bit systems because that's the most that can be used in a 32-bit system. You can install more, but it won't be used unless you have a motherboard and OS that support Physical Address Extensions. As for reading the components from the Device Manager, all you have to do is look at the name and what tree it's in. For instance, if you want to know what video card you have, expand the Display Adapters tree and see what's in it. For me, I have 2 NVidia 670's, and it lists both of them by name. If you want to do some really intense system checking, get CPU-Z from here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and GPU-Z from here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ They both offer detailed information on your system. Also, there are tutorials on their respective sites that show you how to use them.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

right click on my computer and follow the instructions

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.