Can someone interpret this dream? (Tornadoes and dogs - but I'm no Dorothy)?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not sure if this is one, two, or three dreams all mixing together. It's just a weird little circus of information that I'm trying to get a handle on.

I'm on my way to a performance (I can't remember what kind, but I'm the one going to be performing), and I see two small-sized dogs running around together. They're not puppies; they look like Bichon Frise or Pomeranians or something. There are no other people around, so I pick one of them up and try to find its collar, when I notice its back two feet are loosely bound together and there's some sort of air tube running into it - so it's sick, and I want to get it and the other one back to their owner.

I look up and notice some odd clouds forming. They combine into a funnel shape off in the distance. I go to pick up the dogs, and when I look up again, the narrow white funnel has darkened and thickened into a massive, slowly moving column. I'm not afraid, but I am worried for my home. For some reason, I feel that the column won't move, so I try to decide whether it's near my place based on how far west it is. I decide it's far enough away, when I look up and see that it's turned on its side to create a kind of sideways S shape and that the base has moved further east. I'm immediately annoyed, because this means I can't go back to my apartment, so I head straight to whatever performance theater I was headed to.

While walking, I try to check the dog tags to see where they live, if it's on the way, but they're really struggling against that, so I just carry them. I also notice mountains in the distance seem to have their leaves changing color, but I can't see too clearly because I'm focusing on the dogs.

I get to the theater, and find out that I'm in two consecutive performances - the first is a dancing number, and I'm slathered with white makeup to make me practically glow under the lights. I won't have time to completely change between acts, so I decide just to clean off the makeup and continue. While I'm doing this, I put the dogs somewhere. I find them being messed with later - the one that had her legs kind of tied together has been put on some kind of walker, so her hind legs touch the ground and her front legs don't. I take her off it and try to find her brother. It takes a long time, and it's late afternoon by the time I can set out to return them. I'm angry by the way they were treated, but when I get outside, I notice the leaves really have started to change. They're gorgeous, in red-orange-yellow-green fading beautifully from top to bottom. The trees I see are magnolias.

When I return the dogs, I find that one of them has gone missing, and at this point, I'm fed up with small dogs and the owner. The owner seems to be someone I know, because I'm returning them to a cafe I've been to before, but it's dark and seems to be closed, so I can't go in. I leave the last dog in the screened-in front area and leave.

On my way back, I pass my work place and go in. My old boss is there, working again. I say something lame, like "long time no see!" She looks happy to see me, but I sense a kind of animosity that I can't place.

And then I wake up.

• Favorite Answer

Most dreams are messages from the subconscious mind. Typically, you are just processing daily thoughts, feelings and events in the dream. It's funny, but when I started to read the dream, I knew I had to answer it when i got to the part of two small dogs. I have two small Pekingese, and therefore felt moved to answer. But I also loved your subject line "I'm no Dorothy." Great title for your autobiography.

Dogs symbolize friendship and loyalty; there are two in your dream, which may indicate two friends or a relationship with one close person where there are two of you. They are "sickly" indicating issues in the relationship. You carry the dogs, indicating you may be carrying the friendship(s) or doing the bulk of the work in the relationship.

I am prone to think the bulk of this this dream is dissecting one particular relationship/friendship because 1) you mention at the theater having to find her brother - I know you are talking about the dog, and yet intuitively I felt you were referencing a friend who has a brother and 2) at the end of the dream you state you know who the owner of the dogs is, and that is the friend whom this dream is about. However, you interject another person at the end of the dream - an old boss with whom there is some kind of animosity. That is the second person. So this dream is reflecting on the issues in both relationships and how you dealt with them.

Tornadoes symbolize bad things happening in the future that you seem to have no control over. Mountains indicate obstacles and blocks and other such difficulties.

Leaves changing their color can indicate a number of things 1) this person is changing the way they are behaving toward you, but not in a positive way, because usually when someone acts badly we say they are showing their "true colors"; 2) fall is approaching and 3) the relationship itself is changing.

Magnolias are very beautiful and fragrant white flowers. You are now seeing something clearly or smelling the coffee or something to that effect.

At the theater, you are slathered with make up, making me think that you are still putting on a brave face in the relationship or putting on a facade. Acting indicates you may still be putting up a pretense of being close to this person.