tina asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

were the russians in on the holocaust?

but the german were in charge.. did the russian have anything to do with hitler? did they work with him. just wondering cause i don't remember anything about russians??? just wanted to make sure and correct this person whos saying things

Update:

who's stalin? is he a russian?

Update 2:

how were they victims?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The russians were enemies of the german perpetrators of the holocaust and had no direct involvement. In fact russian forces contributed most to ending the holocaust. They made a major contribution to this even before they overran aushwitz in 1945. The big soviet victory in mid 1944 caused Hungary to cease cooperation with the reich in deporting jews. It was said, though, that the Soviets imprisoned Wallenberg because for them "saving jews was an even worse crime than helping the enemy." Ironically the soviets ended the holocaust even though they weren't really unfavorable to it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lwhhow
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No not in on the German Nazi Holocaust of WWII (1939-1945) that was aimed 1st at Jews, then Poles, then Russians....Russians were in fact #3 on the 'hit list' of victims of Hitler's Holocaust.

However the Russians had their own killing machine separate from the Nazi Holocaust. In return for the Nazis murdering millions of Russians in the Holocaust, the Russians murdered millions of German prisoners of war during and after the War (1939-1946). During the War the Russians also murdered 50,000 Poles so they could take over Poland at Wars end.

'Stalin'.... was the long time dictator of the communist Soviet Union he ruled 1927-1953 (26 years) and was almost as big a killer as Hitler, everyone was afraid of him, he had his own secret and torture police and his 'gulag' (a string of about 100 concentration camps in Russian 'Siberia') but he only killed millions of his own Russian people there, so he could stay in power + the German POW's during WWII (1941-1945) but Stalin's crimes during his long 26 year rule are separate and not part of the WWII Nazi Holocaust.

• CMV
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

No , many Jews ( who as a group had suffered oppression under the Czars ) were prominent in the early Russian Communist party ( like Trotsky ) and Jews continued to hold office in many posts in Russia until well after WW2 was over .

Having said that the Soviets were just as unpleasant as the Nazis except that they did not go to the silly extreme of trying to kill entire populations .

How can anyone really not know who Stalin was ? Whoever teaches you history deserves to be hit with a stick .

• 7 years ago

Jews, Communists and Russian prisoners of war were on the top-of-the list to be shoved into the notorious gas chambers, a fact that the Russian liberators of Auschwitz concentration camp were well aware of before getting there. So the answer is no.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

OK, let me just give you some facts.

In the first World War, Germany REALLY committed atrocities towards russia, many villages were literally wiped off the face of the map. In Russia during WW2, the pure hatred towards germany was HUGE, so HUGE in fact that even today there is a wide dislike for german people.

I can go on for hours about how much Russia literally HATED Germany during world war two, however, I will now get to your point.

No, Russia had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the holocaust, they hated hitler, and had nothing to do with the Nazi's except one thing:

Before the war, there was a secret pact between HITLER and STALIN to split up poland between them, however, it is important as a historian to differ between Stalin and Russia, because Stalin was as bad (killed more people than Hitler's holocaust did) and was essentially a megalomaniac.

Source(s): My good knowledge of World War Two, as I personally believe, that many of the things that happened in WW2 can be studied and applied today (as they are)
  • KJC
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

no i don't think so. i think they sided with hitler, but to their detriment. they were badly misused during that period. stalin was a russian, yes. he was the leader of the russians from the 20s to the 50s.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No. Russians were victims in the Holocaust.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The Soviets conspired with the Nazi's to divide Poland between them and must have known what the Nazi's intended for the Jewish population of Poland. Therefore they were conspirators in the holocaust!

• 7 years ago

Considering the Soviet Union (which included Russia) lost over 27 million people fight the germans, the obvious answer is no.

• 7 years ago

No, they didn't. Hitler hated Russia, he wouldn't have told them anything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.