I got a job at Mcdonald's what should I expect?

I'm fifteen and I was informed today that I got my first job at mcdonald's so, I'm pretty proud of myself.

I have an orientation tomorrow, for 5 hours so what can I expect from that?

Also, What can I expect from the job in general? My dad makes it out to seem like its some god awful place, especially around supper, and since I don't have any decent friends that have fast food experience I was wondering what should I expect, what's reality? My mom worked there 30 years ago and said it was hard work, but I'm so torn on what to think.

Favorite Answer

I currently work at McDonald so I can tell you what it's like for sure. The orientation will be you sitting in front of a computer for hours listening to boring videos. The job is highly frustrating at times. You will have customers come in who WILL treat you like complete crap and harass you. You will be standing up for hours on end so your feet will hurt a lot for the first few days of it. Depending on your coworkers and more importantly your manager it will be either a living hell or livable. Since it's your first time the first week or so you will probably only be taking orders but after a while they will began to explain how some of the food is made and you will have to both take orders and/or run the food depending on if they have a runner or not. Often times not. I'm not going to sugar coat it and say it's a fun job. Frankly it's not. But you will be earning money you can spend (which I assume your not buying food paying rent so it should be plenty for shopping) and it will teach you the value of the money your spending. So You should most definitely be proud of yourself and I wish you luck.

• Grace

For the orientation, you'll do basic food safety/regulations and a general tour, followed by some cleaning training. Your dad is partially right. It's not exactly heaven on earth but it's a job and the people are decent. The customers are mostly jackasses and idiots, but you will learn how to deal with them. The worst customers are soccer moms, the best ones are stoners. Politeness and friendliness will go a long way. And supper is pretty slow, lunch is way worse. Well I just made it sound pretty bad, but it's a pretty good job. Good luck.

The first day will be a tour of the store and how each station works and you will be given your uniform. They may also train you on the register. I've worked at Mc Donald's twice in my life and mostly as a cashier on the front line and drive through.

Any job dealing with the public can be difficult at times. Just smile and try and give the best service possible and try to ignore the difficult customers.

People seem to thin just because you work in the fast food industry, they can treat you any way they choose. I say be proud and enjoy your first step at independence.

Source(s): Worked at McDonald's myself

Make use of the 5 hours orientation. Be sincere to learn the job. Do not hesitate to ask any question to understand the job. After orientation you will be given the assignment. Cheerfully do the job and get good name.

It's hard repetitive work you can probably master in the matter of a couple of weeks, at which point it becomes boring too.

There's reasons it's everyone's first job but not a lifetime position.