If we got married in church without a marriage license, can we file a joint tax return?

In other words, is the marriage valid?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ella
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The marriage certificate must be signed by either a clergy person or Justice of the Peace for it to be legal.

If you file a joint tax return you without the proper signatures, you could find yourself in trouble with the IRS for tax fraud.

• 6 years ago

The state of Iowa accept common law marriage for filing jointly for tax purposes only. So you would not even require the wedding in that instance there. Check with your states registrar.

• 7 years ago

how long have u been together a couple of years and they see u as married or a back account something with ur and her name on it that can be used in court like the place u live the paper if y'all name on it. if u have something like that then ur married and got to get a Divorce if u leave her

Source(s): the law
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

To my knowledge a government will not honor a marriage without a legal document.

Source(s): I'm divorced.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Call IRS to get the correct answer - Listed in the telephone book under US Government

• 7 years ago

call it what you want,but,you did not get married

it all starts with a marriage license,this gives you permission to marry, w/o one, you may not get married.

please tell me how people get old enough to want to get married do not know simple things like this?

• 7 years ago

wft??? Why would you have done that? Why even marry if you didn't get a license? WHAT? Wow!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.