Good names for characters? (I give 10 points in 1 hour)?

I'm sort of going with the flow and barely planning anything. I'm just starting to write my book with characters and I'll figure the rest later.

My first character is scarred from war (he was a spy) and was tortured almost to death, burned, skinned, etc... and he is about forty. His nickname is Sea Lion.

The second one is a young girl of eleven who is Sea Lion's ward, or more precisely his ransom. She has light brown hair cut to her shoulders and knows how to kill a pig for dinner but not how to pick out a nice celebration dress. Her nickname is Pup or Foxchild.

My third character is an adolescent girl who is the sister of Pup but doesn't know it. Her hair is light blonde and her eyes are brown. Her father is dead and her mother too so she lives with alone with her brothers and maids. She is kidnapped during the war and left to die over a period of six months in a small room (she's being fed but dies of typhus). Her nickname is Hellebore (a plant that grows in winter).

My fourth character is a young man in his early twenties, and enjoys writing. He writes all the time and loses inpiration until he meets Hellebore. He writes melancholic stories and poems about war and family and winter. He was tortured by the same people as Sea Lion so his back is covered in whip marks. His hair is dark brown and his eyes are light green. I don't have a nickname for him yet.

I use the nicknames for different reasons; Either because other people compare them to what their nickname is, or they call themselves that in their heads or they are just called like that for anonymity.

What should I name them? Preferably sort of old fashioned-names, nothing like Leah or Jayden. Also, maybe a few extra names for my minor characters? Thanks!

• Sam
    Best Answer

Old fashion character names can be found here: (popular names of that era) -- for your minor charcters or main charcter...whichever. :-)

1940s - http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names195...

1920s - http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names192...

1910s - http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names191...

18th and 19th century names with nicknames - http://www.ctstatelibrary.org/node/2329

15th century (female) - http://heraldry.sca.org/names/germ15f.html

15th century (male) - http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/agincourt/

I would list the names that I thought were the best, but that would have taken far too long. Sorry. :3

Names that, by definition, are connect to their nickname:

Sea Lion.

Lavi - "lion" in Hebrew

Ardeshir - meaning "great warrior" or "lion-king" in Middle Persian

Alta - Thousands of feet above sea in Latin

Lew - "lion" Polish form of Yiddish Lev, meaning "lion."

Tau - African Tswana and Egyptian name meaning "lion."

Pup/foxchild

This one was a challenge, I ran a bunch of searches on the name "pup" but was met by a bunch of empty information. So, I'm just using the description you gave.

Rafa - "happiness" in Arabic (When I hear the name Foxchild, I think fun and happy)

I had difficultly with this one, I admit.

Hellebore.

This one was a bit difficult, so I found names that meant "strong", "survivor", "death", and "winter".

Lacon - "Spartan" (Which are known for their fierce and ruthless nature...but they were one greatest warriors of all time)

Glacia (“GLEY-shuh,)” a futuristic sound that elicits imagery of glacial ice (cold)

Ivory - he material of walrus tusks (cold)

Poppy - arctic poppies are among the few flowers found in the frozen region

Eirween - means "white snow" in Welsh

Eirwen - means "white as snow" in Welsh

Gitta - means "Strong" in Celtic

Isa - "strong willed" in German

Morana - Slavic name meaning "death." In mythology, this is the name of a goddess of death and winter.

Valdis: Swedish and Norwegian form of Old Norse Valdís, meaning "goddess of the slain in battle."

Mulan - magnolia blossom". I know it has nothing to do with the above, but I always thought of name as tough. I'm bias because whenever I hear the name Mulan I think of the movie Mulan, which isn't altogether bad. Mulan from the Disney movie was a warrior, she refused to allow circumstances that she couldn't help prevent her aiding her father despite her lack of athleticism.

Third character.

Using just the information you gave:

(connection to Sea Lion)

Leonid - Russian, meaning "lion's son."

Leonty - Russian Leontiy, meaning "lion-like."

Nenee - means "lion-like"

Paine - means "pain"

Ashling - means "dream, vision", English (I imagine your character escapes reality through his stories and poems...or to help cope with it)

Ulfah- Persian female name means "Familiar'

Langundo - Native American name meaning “peaceful”

Tormey - Irish name meaning “thunder spirit”

boys

Breccan

Barnabas

Peregrine

Calloway

Cashel

Casimir

Cosmo

Lorcan

Maxfield

Oberon

Orson

Ozias

Redmond

Romulus

Rufus

Serge

Stellan

Thornton

Vaughan

Walden

Win

Calder

Callum

Maglorix

Nicanor

Noam

Vander

Xanthias

Abraxas

Draven

Felix

Edgar

Mortimer

Milton

Chester

Nicandro

Calix

Coltrane

Roth

Nicasio

Lorenzo

Girls

Ambrosia

Augustina

Bellamy

Branwen

Caia

Celestia

Clementina

Clio

Cornelia

Domino

Elspeth

Federica

Henrietta

Honora

Ione

Isolde

Jezebel

Olympia

Ondine

Paz

Pippa

Sabra

Saskia

Verena

Desdemona

Drusilla

Arachna

Arella

Xanthe

Acantha

Nissa

Hazel

Mabel

Lucasta

Eugenia

Myrtle

Penelope

Dariela

Veronique

Feodora

Francesca

1st Character - Leo Seaten

2nd Character - Tilki Martine

3rd Character - Vera Martine

4th Character - Jacques Sorrow

But Idk what you can do for a nickname for him. The first name was random, but I got Leo from Lion in Sea Lion. The second name I made because Tilki is "fox" in Turkish. The third name was chosen because "veratrum" is Hellebore in Latin. And the last name was entirely random since you gave no nickname for him. I got the Sorrow part because you said he had been tortured, but the Jacques just came to me because I thought it suited him. Hope that was of use

1st character - Sean/Shawn Harrison

2nd character - Sammy or Vera Larkin

3rd character - Georgia/Georgina Larkin

4th character - Elliot or William King