Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTeen & Preteen · 7 years ago

Was I right to ground my son to the hotel room?

In June, I grounded my son for the entire summer for getting a C in math. He ended up passing summer school with an 84%. My wife suggested ungrounding him, but I convinced her that good grades should be expected, not exceptional. Last week, we went on vacation to Tokyo, and I grounded him to the hotel room for the entire time. I think this is more of a punishment to my son, as he had to travel all the way to Tokyo just to sit in the tiny hotel room the whole week. I also believe this is more of a punishment to him as this is the only time we are going to Tokyo (we have been saving for 2 years for this) and he has been very excited about it, and he also loves video games. In the hotel room he was not allowed to watch tv (I took the remote, and there isn't an on button directly on the tv), not allowed to use the computer (password protected), wasn't allowed to bring his handhelds (obviously), and not allowed to read. Also, in the evening, when the rest of us came back, we told him about all the fun things we did that day (such as when we visited Nintendo of Japan, watched a Sumo tournament, etc.). Was this an appropriate punishment?

I am sick and tired of all the answers from you lenient parents, if you even are one. A C is an awful mark; Ivy league schools don't accept those kinds of grades! Also, I know kids look forward to summer. Taking away their summer is a consequence for doing poorly in school, that way I will encourage them to try harder to avoid the consequence! Also, to the people who are saying that he missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience, that's a consequence for failing math! Also, I don't reward my kids for grades, as I expect good grades. My son was still grounded for failing in June. Also, Jensyn, my son came to Japan with us as I already bought the plane tickets and they were non-refundable, and I was afraid a babysitter wouldn't keep up the punishment. Besides, as I already said, it is more of a punishment for him.

• Boyaki
    Favorite Answer

What sumo tournament were you watching? They're only held in the odd number months, and the next one in Tokyo isn't until September.

You need to get your facts straight before trolling everyone.

Um, are you kidding? That was really un-fair to him. Everyone looks forward to summer, it's a time to relax. If he passed with an 85, why would he still be grounded. He did his time in Summer school in order to improve his mark. As for grounding him to the tiny hotel room while you were in Tokyo and had saved for 2 years to go, that was wrong. traveling is a life experience and you took that away from him and then preceded to act childish when you came back to the room and bragged about all of the cool things you guys did. No that was NOT an appropriate punishment. Your wife was right, he should have been un-grounded.

The answers of Jennifer, Squid, and Olivia were right on the mark. Leaving your kid in a hotel room with nothing to do while you and your wife were out having the vacation of a lifetime was just waaaayyyyy too harsh. And all that over a C grade? A C isn't even a failing grade. I know some parents that would be happy if their son made consistent passing marks.

Source(s): Seriously, read some books on parenting

Horrible parenting! I understand punishing him for maybe two weeks after all it was only a C. But after getting an 84% in summer school, he should have been off the hook! Your son probably won't be back to Tokyo for a long time, if ever. You ruined a once in a lifetime experience for him! You should be ashamed, that punishment went too far.

I feel sorry for the poor kid.

Source(s): I hope you're trolling
  • Hannah

This has to be a troll. Mostly because this is so over the top. And a school would never make a student take summer school just for getting one C. Usually you can only retake a class if you failed it, which means you had to have gotten an F, because F is the only "failing" grade. a C and even a D is still passing.

I've got to agree with the others, sounds extremely harsh to me. If it was a holiday that took you a long time to save for, you aren't going to be going again any time soon. What incentive has your son got to try harder next time? You can't punish him any further as his dream holiday that he was looking forward to has come and gone. So why bother trying next year?

Everyone has different parenting techniques. But if you're asking for opinions, I'd say your punishment was far too severe.

• Squid

C is not so terrible. Grounding for the entire summer seems excessive.

The hotel room stuff is just over the top crazy, especially after he did well in summer school. Terrible parenting.

No you were a little hard on him grounding him for the whole summer. Kids look forward to summer all year and u took that away. I feel really bad for him honestly

Your right n she is right you should ground him for about 2 weeks then let him of the hook for passing summer school

Source(s): Both r right

If you were my father I would drop out of school, take any job that I could find to support myself and get away from you as fast as possible. Your son must be a saint to put up with that crap.