Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

How to become closer to god/jesus? (LONG)?

I am a 14 year old girl. I am a Christian.

A few years ago I was very religious praying to god everynight. And my life was perfect is was so good, and I DO believe that god did that for me because over the summer I just kinda stopped praying. Idk why, I just did. And ever since then my life has gotten like worse and worse you don't even kno. So first, is this because I am no longer close to god?

My second question is how do I get close to god again? I want to be very religious and just give myself up to him. But I don't seem to be able to. Where I used to be excited to pray I now lack the motivation and think there is little point. I used to tell god all about my day, but now I get frustrated trying to talk to him. It's just so much easier not to pray.

I do not attend church and my family is not religious. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

Hey Audrey,

That is awesome that you desire to get closer with Jesus! However, you do seem to have a wrong perception about God and His Character. God's blessing upon us is not solely based on our efforts, it is based on His loving grace. We do not deserve anything from God because He does not owe us anything. Of course, this does NOT mean that we should go off and do the sinful things we want simply because His blessing is NOT based on human merits because bad consequences will follow. So, whenever we believers obey His commandments, God rewards us based on His Grace.

I am not sure whether or not you fully understand what it signifies to truly be a Christian. Makes sure that you have a basic understanding of salvation, such as: understanding who saved us, what He saved us from, how He saved us and etc. The Biblical Gospel, written below, should provide you with that knowledge.

The Bad News:

All humans have sinned against a Holy God (Romans 3:23). There is no person who does good and does not sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20). All forms of sin such as; lying, theft, blasphemy (using God's name in vain), coveting, idolatry, fornication, and etc., is hated by a Holy and Perfect God (Revelation 21:8). And because God is Good, Just, and Holy, He cannot tolerate sin, not even one, and will eventually punish all who have sinned against him ( 2 Thessalonians 1:8). Every form of sin is punishable by Eternal Hell because God Himself is Eternal and Holy. No amount of "good" works can erase the punishment of the crime. The punishment for sin is death/Hell (Romans 6:23). At day of Judgement, every single person will have to give an account of his/her actions (Matthew 12:36).

The Good News:

Thankfully, God is also Merciful, Gracious, and Loving that he provided a way, so that we sinful humans can be saved from the condemnation of Hell! The great love of Agape begins when Jesus Christ (God incarnate) became a human being, led a perfect sinless life, and eventually suffered and died on the cross to take the punishment that sinful humans deserved, thus demonstrating his love for us (1 John 4:10/Romans 5:8). Then Jesus rose from the grave, defeating death (1 Corinthians 15:4).

But, in order to receive the free gift of Eternal life and forgiveness from all of your sins, you must: Place your faith/trust in Jesus Christ for your salvation and repent from your sins (John 3:16/Acts 17:30). The moment you do that, you will be receive Eternal life and receive forgiveness from all of your sins, because of God's grace and mercy! This is the Gospel. It is God's gracious and loving message to humanity.

Personally, I also remember when I had stopped praying before I was truly a Christian. I do not really understand what Jesus Christ had done for me until the Gospel was revealed to me. Anyways this should answer your first question.

As for your second question, after you have obeyed His command in truly placing your faith and trust in Jesus Christ and repented from your sins (if you have not done so already), you will be spiritually born-again (John 3:6-8). So, if you want to grow closer with God, you will have to begin, not in any particular order, by:

-By praying to God again (or else there will be no relationship with Him). In prayer, you establish a relationship and communication with God. What kind of relationship will last if there is no communication?

-Be baptized (Acts 2:38)

-Reading and studying the Bible and obeying it, as He commands us all.

-Finding a good Bible-teaching church to help you grow spiritually.

It is not about being "religious", it is about having the right relationship with God :)

This is my advice and I hope it helps. If you have any questions or in need of clarification, feel free to email me at: Edtastic@ymail.com and I will gladly respond

God bless you :)

Source(s): The Holy Bible

Start by capitalizing God and Jesus(respect). Obviously when you backslide your life will get worse.

Try this: Repent or turn from any sin in your life. Ask for forgiveness. Ask Jesus again to be your Lord an d Savior. Begin to pray each day and read his word. Find a church, you cant live as a Christian without a church. God must be number one in your life so you need a church to help you grow as a Christian. Don't blame your parents, they have made their choice. If you want church go without them. You previous plan worked well. make it your plan again. Watch him bless you again.

Learn from your mistake and remember, without God we are in satans hands.

• suzie

Ask God to forgive you for straying from Him. Ask Him to restore the joy of His salvation that you once had. Tell Him that you want to have the kind of relationship with Him that you once had.

He says that if we draw near to Him He will draw near to us.

After repenting of straying (backslideing) begin to seek Him again. Start doing all the things that you did when you were close. Pray, read the Bible, talk to Him. You will find that He is very willing to "rekindle" the relationship you once had with Him. Remember you are the one who broke the relationship, not God.

Read about the prodigal son in the Bible, you are a type of the son and God a type of the Father.

God Loves you very much and has a plan for your life. He will welcome you back with open arms.

God Bless you dear. Hope this helps.

Source(s): experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprV3TZet0g

Youtube thumbnail

Remember that praising God is not by feeling. You have to do it even if you don't feel. Dont do it because you feel like it but because he deserves it. start of by praying maybe only 5 or 10 min a night. just ask god to ignite a fire in you and a passion for his kingdom. read your bible and begin to put it in action. Tell him how frustrated you are. tell him you need help and that you give him all your burdens. Let him have his way in your life. Do the "Dangerous Prayer." where you tell him God begin to work in my life and do your will. Take away what I want and put your desire in me. Even if I may not want what you have for me do it, because I know that its the best for me.

To answer your first question: Did your life turn bad because you are no longer close to God: Maybe, maybe not. Bad things happen to people who are close to God as well as to those who are not. Sometimes God uses bad things to draw us back to him as in the case of Jonah. Most of us only turn to God when we have exhausted every other option and we literally have nowhere else to turn. I have done that very thing myself.

As for advice, if you really want to do this, ask him to renew your heart and your commitment. Ask him to teach you to love him and submit to him. Ask to be filled with his Spirit and spend time reading his word. Finally, find others who share your faith. We are here to help one another along this path. None can make the journey alone. It is good to have others to help pick us up when we fall. May God bless you, keep you and draw you nearer to him.

I'm a 14 year old guy, but I'm an atheist, so I can't really help you with the getting closer to God part. But life starts to suck more as you grow up. It isn't because you've done anything wrong, being a teenager is confusing and miserable sometimes. We just have to power through it and hold on to what we believe in.

You see, you started out like a lot of people, all excited. Then it starts to drag on, and you lose your composure. It sounds like God is putting mileage on you. It's normal. You are needing to toughen up. Now get back to talking to God for real. It's not all fun, it's real though.

Study the Bible and realise that Jesus is NOT God himself...

Like...WHO spoke from heaven?

(Matthew 3:17) Look! Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.”

WHO sent Jesus?

(Luke 4:43) But he said to them: “Also to other cities I must declare the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this I was sent forth.”

WHO did Jesus pray to?

Jesus taught us to pray...to his father...Jehovah

(Matthew 6:9, 10) “YOU must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.

NOT TO HIMSELF..

And he specified that we must know God's NAME...JEHOVAH...

(Exodus 6:3) And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.

SEE THE SEPARATION...between NAME and title...Jehovah / God Almighty...

Even Satan, in the Bible, is termed 'a' god...

(2 Corinthians 4:4) among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

To be called a ' god' does not mean to be 'the' God.

Source(s): NWT

''And ever since then my life has gotten like worse and worse you don't even kno''

its basically the same logic ayatollas use when they say that sex outside of marriage cause earthquakes