Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 years ago

Americans, do you wear shoes in the house?

Okay so I'm Canadian and we always take off our shoes when we come inside, even if we've just met the home owner, its considered polite because you aren't tracking dirt on their floors. so I went to visit some relatives in Florida recently and I was really surprised when nobody took off their shoes, they just walked all through their house in the same shoes. This really doesn't make sense to me, it just seems like you'd be getting your floors dirty all the time, especially on carpet. I'm looking for lots of opinions, if you do or do not take off your shoes tell me why :)

I, personally, prefer going barefoot most of the time.

It's never been "normal" for me to require people to remove their shoes.

Yes, floors get dirty. That's why people clean them. Floors are made to be walked on; that's what they are there for.

That said, there are cultures where people all know it's expected to remove shoes on entering a home. It's hardly universal human behavior.

Shoes keep feet warm. Some people are uncomfortable removing them in public. Feet can smell. Floors can be cleaned, carpets vacuumed. Socks wear out.

• KJC

for the most part that i know, and i have lived in just about every part of the u.s., americans do not take off their shoes when they come into the house. yes our floors are dirty :) now someone of asian descent might take them off or some other cultures that do that. there are some folks that have a shoe caddy by the door and i suppose they wear slippers until they are ready to leave. i think my aunt does that and she's white as they come - she is also a neat freak. :)

I'm not technically American, but I live here. I am originally from Ukraine. I in my family, do not wear shoes in the house. For many reasons is that we think it's dirty, we tend to dislike having a dirty house. But there are always exceptions, I know many dirty people.

I'm always barefoot at home, but I like to go barefoot everywhere.

I don't have a shoes-off-in-the-house rule. Whether guests remove shoes is their choice, although I reserve the right to ask someone to remove muddy shoes before coming inside.

• Jason

I have wall-to-wall carpet, so I take my shoes off in the house. A carpet cleaning guy told me once the best way to keep your carpet looking good year after year is to walk around in socks with no shoes. If you take your shoes off at the door, you will have 80 percent less dirt in your house. Who wouldn't want less dirt in their house? Also, oils from barefeet can ruin carpet over time, so it's best to wear socks.

After I got that advice, I started going in my sock feet all the time. Carpet still looks great years later, and my feet are always comfortable at home. I enjoy being in my socks indoors, so much so that I don't mind taking off my shoes at other people's houses.

Most Americans don't take off their shoes in the house. I always do though, just because (I agree with you) it seems so dirty to track all that outside dirt, mud and who knows what into the house.

i live in Romania and here we always take our shoes off before going inside(there are some exceptions like when i am in a hurry and get back inside to find something then leave).

i think it's just a cultural thing,i met here some american missionaries and they didn't took off their shoes inside the apartment they lived.

It is not a custom to remove ones shoes in the area I live in, however I do know some people who do it and even provide slippers for guests.,

Source(s): My experience

Well, we vacuum and mop the floors here so dirt isn't a big deal. And if there is extra mud or dust on the shoes we just scrape it off on the welcome mat - that's what it's for.

Dirt is much less bothersome than smelling someone's nasty, sweaty feet, particularly in very hot and humid climates (like much of the southern US). And I'd rather sweep the floor after a visit than wonder what sort of foot grunge and toe jam someone just spend an hour grinding down into my carpet. Dirt is just dirt; people's feet can be pretty nasty and you just never know.

• william6 years agoReport

Your shoes are much dirtier then your feet you idiot. and just by wiping your shoes on the door mat doesn't help ****. at least 20% of the bacteria that's on your shoes is poop matter... most americans are just retarded.

Just like in Asian's countries ! I think it is very polite to do it too but in France we don't do that it would be not polite at all.