If you have a 401K at work, can you still make contributions to an IRA?

I am depositing the maximum into my 401K, plus the extra $5,500 for being over 50. Can I also make deposits to an IRA? I'll be retiring in a year or two.

Favorite Answer

Absolutely! If you meet the eligibility requirements for both, no restrictions exist preventing you from funding both. You may not be able to deduct your traditional IRA contribution or fund your Roth IRA at all, however, if your income exceeds certain limitations.

Hope my answer was clear and earns your Best Answer vote!

DISCLAIMER FOR PROFESSIONALS: While the information in this response was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. The opinion voiced in this answer is for general information only and it shall not be construed as tax, legal, or investment advice for any individual. Questioners are urged to consult with their professional advisers before making any decisions regarding their finances.

Retirement Guru, CFP®, EA, CES, CFS, AAMS

Certified Financial Planner™ Practitioner

Enrolled Agent | Admitted to Practice before the IRS

Certified Estate and Trust Specialist

'Providing sound Retirement and Estate Planning Strategies since 1985'

Yes.

Your can always contribute to an IRA. Whether you can contribute to a Roth or whether a Traditional IRA contribution would be deductible would depend on your income.

In a worst case scenario, you can always contribute to a non-deductible Traditional IRA.