Do live TEFL certification courses have more value than online certification?

I currently work full time as an EFL teacher/instructor overseas, but I do not have TEFL certification. I've been here for three years and am about to enter my fourth, but I'm starting to get a little antsy and would like to move soon. I was thinking about Europe, but I noticed that most places require TEFL certification.

The biggest downside I can find to getting the certification online is the lack of teaching experience - and with three years and on under my belt, I can't see how this would be detrimental.

Note: I am an American, and I recognize that getting employment in the EU would be difficult. This is something I'm considering doing in late 2015, and I'm just looking for information now.

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    The CELTA is the most widely respected certificate program. You'll have to look to see how it's offered in your area. It can sometimes be taken with a combination of online and onsite classes. Most of the other certificate programs are not worth the cost. There are some universities that offer online certificate programs- your transcript may not even say whether you took the courses online or not. Those programs are longer, though. I think UCLA and U of Memphis both have one. There are also online M.A. programs, which is what you need to get the best jobs.

    As for Europe, in western Europe the difficulty is getting a valid work visa. It's so much easier for them to hire Brits if they want a native speaker. If you can find a way to be there legally, you can get work at a private language school. Central and eastern European schools do sometimes still hire Americans and get them a work visa.

    Go to and click on Jobs. That will give you an idea of the jobs available and the requirements.

  • 7 years ago

    The quality of the program really depends on the course provider and accreditation. Ontesol offers a 250-hour TESOL Diploma online, which is an extended version of the 5-week Trinity CertTESOL offered in Toronto, and graduates can complete a separate 20-hour Practicum to be eligible for TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 accreditation (Many Canadian universities carry the same level of accreditation).

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Yes you can find a Teaching English jobs in Korea as long as you attended your college for at least 2 years. I know lot of advertisements says that they require you complete 4 years degree course, but trust me, my sister just finished high school and she's currently teaching english at some english tutoring college. Plus you're a foreigner right? So you should have absolutely no problem or whatsoever, because Korean's also really wants to focus coversational english so they can improve their listening skills as well as pronunciations! :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.