Pat Arch asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

Can you use real swords with kendo techniques?

** I don't plan on using a real sword, this is all for curiosity's sake; i just want to know. Don't worry I won't do anything stupid.

I know at first glance it sounds stupid, many would say "of course, you dolt!" But I've heard kendo is more of a sport than "the way of the sword", and it got me wondering if you could use a real sword with the techniques of kendo (since the shihai is round and not flat like a regular katana).

Would iaido be better to use a real sword with? I've heard this is "the way of the sword" and not at all like kendo; I do know that unsheathing and re sheathing your sword is major part of the art.

Favorite Answer

Hmm yes and no. Kendo only allows stikes to specific locations to score. These happen to be the areas that on a samurai in armour would be the most heavily protected so not ideal for hitting with a sword blade. Against an unarmoured person it wouldn't be such a problem. Look for somewhere that teaches Kenjutsu for real Japanese swordsmanship.

• flott

Kendo Techniques

• Matt

Kendo is indeed a sport, the benefits apply to reflexes and stamina. While it doesn't teach you how to handle a live blade, the technique learned is applicable to actual swordplay. So yes, they do work together, but experience with both helps you understand how to do so.

Iaido IS the art of drawing the sword, striking and returning the blade. It teachers you to handle a sword through set patterns performed alone.

Kenjutsu is where you practice live technique with an opponent. You don't hit the other person but stop short before you repeat/move on/swap

Tameshigiri is the art of cutting targets with a live sword and teaches you how perfect cutting angle, power and speed of striking

Some schools have separate classes for each, some combine them and some only practice one or more, the trick lies in who you find to teach and how willing you are to pursue the full spectrum of the Japanese sword arts. Due to costs I usually tell people to start with one one move slowly in to the others when they are ready.

(I should mention that some schools still practice unrestricted sparring/combat, but they are few are far between these days)

• Artist

I'm not speaking specifically of Kendo, but people can practice with actual swords. It's needless to say that it is very dangerous and should only be reserve to those that have been practicing with a sword for years and are very good.

Source(s): 11 years martial arts

Kendo bears little similarity to real sword use. It has evolved into a sport without the limitations and restrictions of real sword usage. See www.shinkendo.com

Mostly fencing with some kendo here and there.

I have no idea but kendo is supreme.