What do you think about using both Guns and Swords?

Say I was Mercenary like Deadpool do you think it would be practical using at least one Gun and one Sword? Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

Never bring a sword to a gun fight.

• Mark

Back around the 1700s and most of the 1800s, guns were none too reliable and very slow to reload....So almost anyone anticipating trouble would carry some sort of bladed weapon as well as a firearm.

However, this is pretty much passe' in current society. Soldiers and "special-ops' types still carry combat knives, of course, but swords are just too cumbersome.

Well, I guess it's like they say: "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Both at the same time would be a little silly. Long range weapons, especially modern firearms, are just as good at close range as they are from a distance. A bladed weapon wouldn't be necessary.

There's practicality in having both. Military personnel carry guns as well as knives of various lengths. As far as fantasy scenarios go, there are human physical limits to how much on person can logically carry, or even need. Realistically, your katana or claymore is best left at home.

I have always found swords, and swordfighting very interesting, and I think that annihilating an enemy in close combat, versus a single shot with a gun brings a personal factor into it. Anyone can kill you with a gun if they know where to aim, as opposed to both fighting and defending with a sword, which requires a lot of skill in the one who wields it. I think its a lot more of a fit to my preferences, but hell, do what you want haha.

Source(s): Opinion
  • It never hurt to have a back-up plan when you run out of bullets. The good thing about swords is you don't have to reload, and the never jam. Unless you get it stuck in a skull.

Deadpool is immortal, you are not.

Swords wouldn't be very practical today. A knife can be just as deadly at close and is less cumbersome.

• Why not just use a missile while you're at it?