Is it possible to tile the top of a wood sideboard?

I have an Amish-made oak sideboard that I love. The kids have put wet stuff on it, destroying the finish on the top. I'm getting very high estimates for getting it professionally refinished. I wondered if it would be possible for me to put a mosaic tile or marble top on the sideboard instead. Has anyone ever done this, and how did it end up? Tips will be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

You could put tile on it but you would need to put some type of finished edge on it to make it look good. If it is built sturdy, a better choice might be to go to a local countertop fabricator and get a remnant piece of granite, soapstone, marble, etc. cut to fit and attach that to the top. I recently rebuilt a porch that had 4 flat wooden caps on piers. We replaced the 4 caps which were about 42" x 22" with granite (green butterfly) and had simple radius edges done. The total cost for the 4 pieces was about $560 or $140 each.

Source(s): Contractor 24 yrs.

Refinishing is labor intensive and takes lots of time as to why its expensive, if you rush the process turns out looking bad. I would refinish myself and just buy the proper materials and safety gear, come in handy for other projects. You can buy the electric sander and paper grades for far less then the cost of having it done. The sander can be used for other home projects You can buy sand paper for wood metal plastic etc.

If you tile over it, that really is skill and layout dependent you want it to look good. But the tile cement will absolutely ruin the finish and any value. I would refinish it re stain all time consuming but interesting projects to do then put a thick coat of polyurethane to prevent future spills from staining it.

If I had a wood piece that really loved tiling it wouldn't be an option Doing the work yourself is not hard or technical just time consuming from sanding re-staining and coating but well worth it if you don't rush the results Then you will have your piece restored and preserved kiddo proof to enjoy for life.

hope it helps

Lr

Why not use a tablecloth or similar to hide the stains ? Refinishing old pieces decreases the value !!

Source(s): Handyman

No, never heard of either. You are not suppose to thaw any meat or fowl like that. It is suppose to thaw in the refridgerator or in a sink full of cold water. I put mind in the cold water and it thawed over night.